Anchor bowsprit

Designer

I have just made an anchor roller and bowsprit for my CS17 #34. It may seem like overkill on such a small boat but it works so well that I think that it was worth the effort.

I wanted to design the anchor roller so that builders could make their own in their home shop. The cheeks are made from 1/8" aluminum but stainless could be used. The roller is from a piece of delrin that I already had but a plastic keel roller from a trailer would be a low cost alternative.

I have a drawing that I will email to anyone that wants it and it can be scaled up for larger boats.

post-186-129497645618_thumb.jpg

post-186-129497645636_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of the bowsprit/ roller installed. I designed it so that the anchor could stow in the roller, although I don't intend to sail like that very often. The anchor is a 4# Danforth type.

The main reason that I built the the system was to protect the bow from chafe without having to hang over and tie off the anchor line on the bow eye. A bow chock does not project forward enough to prevent the anchor line from chafing on the deck forward and there is something luxurious about pulling in the anchor over the roller and having very little friction.

I don't mind sending the drawing out but it is easier if you send me an email so that I can return it with the attachment.

post-186-129497645665_thumb.jpg

John,

It might be a good idea to stay with your day job for a little while.

You don't show a fore and aft view but the sheave will be a lot narrower than the mast so you will have to add spacers between the straps and the sheave. The two bolts holding the straps on the mast are too close together for the leverage of the halyard and I see the whole thing being loose and vulnerable.

I would just slot the mast for the sheave in the traditional manner and eliminate the straps. It will also look a lot better.