Reduceing forum to fit screen

Arnie Eaton

Most php boards are set for 800x600 screens if you are running a small monitor you may have problems with scrolling. And when some one posts a long url to some photo that will happen to all but the bigger screens. And now we have to deal with file size. When some fool with dsl or better posts a picture or links to one of mass file size you will have to wait for the damn thing to load every time you want to see who posted. Talk about a long down load time on dialup. And some of have no choice as the faster ISP's are not an option.

Plus if too many people post pictures on the same thread you have to download them all every time. Like I said I am not a big fan of php boards as too many people have no internet sense at all. And no idea of file size.

Just my two cents.

Paul J

Oh and Frank the other boards are not the same as this main forum. They show email address's and none of the other cute stuff. Have fun as php is as wiggy as windows at best. I don't envy you at all. :wink:

Most php boards are set for 800x600 screens if you are running a small monitor you may have problems with scrolling. And when some one posts a long url to some photo that will happen to all but the bigger screens. And now we have to deal with file size. When some fool with dsl or better posts a picture or links to one of mass file size you will have to wait for the damn thing to load every time you want to see who posted. Talk about a long down load time on dialup. And some of have no choice as the faster ISP's are not an option.

File size is limited to 200k' date=' and only three per post are allowed. When you go to post a reply, we don't re-download the pics (they disappear when typing in your reply). So some of the problems are taken care of.

Plus if too many people post pictures on the same thread you have to download them all every time. Like I said I am not a big fan of php boards as too many people have no internet sense at all. And no idea of file size.

This is still true. "Three per post" means every poster could post three pics. That hasn't been our practice in the past, so we'll see how it goes. I can always configure it to allow less, or force smaller pic size, or not even show the pics, but just have a link to open it in a new window. So if the message loading time gets to be a problem, we can do that to address it.

Oh and Frank the other boards are not the same as this main forum. They show email address's and none of the other cute stuff. Have fun as php is as wiggy as windows at best. I don't envy you at all. :wink:

Hey! How come? :roll: I'll have to check it out. ("A fun time was had by all." Sgt. Pepper.

It does the same to me Frank. I log in and the screen size increases about 1/2" or so. Log out and it goes back to a normal full screen fit. Interesting problem... :cry:

I figured this out. Its my navigation menu at the top of the screen.

When you log in, it adds "You have no new messages" (meaning you have no new private messages, another feature of the software). It makes the navigation menu too wide, forcing the screen out wider. I'll figure out how to correct it tonight.

I looked at this ... those are the imported messages from the old board. The only forums with new messages are the B&B Forum, where a "guest" posted about wood dust being a carcinogen (no email info or fancy little buttons) and my reply (which has the fancy little buttons). And the Classifieds, where a member posted an ad for 3 gals of epoxy fairing compound for $40 (he put his email in the message, but he gets the fancy little buttons under his post rather than an email link).