Recommendations for Compass placement & type?

Dale Niemann

I noticed on Graham's CS 17 he had mounted a fairly large compass (5" ?) on the forward combing.

Is this the best placement for it?

Can an old man like me see it from the helm?

I was thinking a bracket compass (removable for storage) mounted on the aft of the centerboard trunk.

I am also bewildered by "direct read card" "flat card" or combination.

Any help or recommendations for placement or type would be appreciated.

Thanks

Finding the ideal place for the compass is tough. My compass is bigger than necessary (it is not 5") but it is one that I had. I had previously sailed with the compass mounted close to the aft end of the forward seat by the trunk, but for the Everglades Challenge I was concerned that when one of us was sleeping while off-watch it would be covered for too much of the time and the helmsman would struggling over not wanting to wake the crew and the need to stay on course.

If it is near the mizzen you are reading the compass 90 degrees off course with lots of potential for tired sailors to make errors. I prefer to look forward at the compass. I also wanted it clear of the mizzen as the rig had to be removed for the bridges. Probably the ideal is to have two compasses, one on each side deck in front of the helmsman, but it could be obstructed when both crew are hiking out.

While it is not ideal where it is and I have to sit tall to read it I am going to live with it where it is until I can find somewhere better.

Thanks Graham. I appreciate your quick response and thoughts on placement choice.

I am intrigued by your ideal of two compasses, one on each side deck. I will give it some thought. I can probably get two smaller compasses for about the price of one large one and since they will be much closer, I should be able to read them if I can find the right location. I will probably be sailing by myself most of the time so do not have to worry about it being obscured.