Lack of inspiration

Guest Ricardo de Oliveira

Guest Ricardo de Oliveira

Hi,

what about some pics of Core Sound fished hulls so I can make my mind about a painting scheme ? Come on, show us your art works!

Any advises against an epoxied dark hull under the tropics sun? I'm in Brazil.

Thanks.

Ricardo

ricoliveira@uol.com.br

Guest Joe Nelson

The CD of the core sound series shows around a hundred pictures of boats in construction and finshed. It is $10. I would order that. I really like it.

As far as dark paint and epoxy goes...the warmer the climate the more you should think against using dark paint. How you store your boat when not in use is another factor. Garaged out of the sun is best.

Dark colors absorb more heat than light colors. Epoxy can break down, become more pliable when it is hot. For a climate like yours, I think that lighter colors are the most practical. There is a section in Devlin's Boat Building book about color and heat absorbsion. I will read it again a post his comments in summary later.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Brad Whitehurst

I would vote against very dark colors over epoxy in the tropics. The skin temperatures could (haven't done the analysis) definitely get above the epoxy glass transition temperature, especially for room temperature cured epoxies. Many of these have transition temperatures well below the boiling point of water, and dark surfaces in the sun can get damned hot in the tropics. If that happens, the epoxy can become soft, lose strength, and actually flow (very slowly). It wouldn't be hard to do a quick test by laying up some fiberglass on a piece of plywood, and finish it as if it were your hull. Then sit it out in the sun for a while and see what happens.