Weekender Builders?

mrthethird

Not discounting all the new threads of people building "other than" boats...I mean, if I had seen the Duck Trap pages first, who is to say I wouldn't be building a Christmas Wherry right now, but how many of you out there are building Weekenders, and how far along are you?

No need to say how long you've been at it... :):):)

Well, I sailed my Weekender this summer for the first time but I don't know if I would actually call myself done... lots of things left to do...modifications to make it easier to sail...lots and lots of more sanding to try and clean up the less then steller "finish" I ended with to get it into the water. :oops:

Sails to rebuild or build, Capt Jake gave me a couple of old dacron jibs I want to cut down and re-sew into a lapper. 8) My polytarp main is showing some wear. I need to re-tape the edges and then actually sew the edges some, it should hold much better that way.

Replace the wood blocks I made with regular blocks, even if only hardware store kind. It starts to get old having the line 2 out of 3 times get jammed while in use. :x

Build a smaller boom and install sail-track on boom and mast. I used a 2x4 and I really think that was over kill. :roll:

Get that 2 hps. working and a motor mount installed. Remove the electric jack.

Still having steering issues, have to play with that some more. Thought I had it fixed but had it slip again. I think I'll take it out and start over with fresh material. Oh yes, The wheel steering will work!!!! I refuse to be beaten by a piece of rope. :x :P

Here in the PNW I know of 3 Weekenders that sail...not saying any of them are finished (except for maybe capt jakes.) I also know that Joel and Barry up here are still plugging away on theirs.

So mrthethird, I would put the scientific number at "lots" :twisted:

The problem is once you start building a boat or boats you never stop, your always thinking about how to improve what you have or what else to build because you come across some item, be it material or items, that just seems to scream at you to make something from it. :P :wink:

Definately understand the "bug". I've been building boats, hobby-wise, for only about 5 years, and have enough ideas and designs to keep me building way beyond my natural life span. A real cedar-strip canoe, another couple of kayaks, a pontoon boat or two...Funny thing is, I have no clue as to how design works.... :shock: :lol:

On that note, as I get closer to finishing the "boat" part, I'm getting the willies thinking about the rigging. This being the first sailboat I've built, or will sail, for that matter. It would seem you other builders get the boat in the water, then spend another grundle of time re-working the rigging. Is it in that much need of enhancement, or are you guys like me, and can't leave well enough alone? What are the more common issues?

And this steering issue...aren't there a bit too many knots in this set-up? Seems like it would be incredibly difficult to get the tension right. Has anyone tried rope clamps instead?

And as far as questions go, don't worry, I gotta million of 'em.

oh yah' it's over with you. You are infected with the bug. No hope, :cry: :wink:

After the initial set up of the rigging, it has to be fined tuned for each boat because each boat is slightly different. but once that is done I guess you wouldn't have to mess with it anymore but... I can't see NOT messing with the lines and ropes and mast angles and stays and sails to see if you could make it a little more efficient in the sailing aspect. :P Why have a toy if you can't play with it? :?

What are the most common issues? Boy, for me that is tough. I was blessed with having two very wise men in the area to feed off of for information and actually have on hand during my launching which allowed me to avoid many common mistakes. capt jake was in attendance and so was Barry Pyeatt. During the build and while sailing with these two gentlemen I was gently guided into avoiding many mistakes. Some I realized I made and others I'm sure I just blithely sailed by with out even knowing. :oops:

And then everyone else on this board are unbelievable support via the net.

Now about that steering. Some people have no problem with it at all. Some people make modifications. Some people go with a tiller. Some people just can't quite get it right. :twisted: I'm one of the latter. :lol:

:roll: boy, was that long winded or what? :roll:

i built a weekender - but it isn't finished. Doesn't stop me from putting it in the water though.

rigging scared me too. i finally, have it doing what i want it to do (for now) - i added a topping lift so that i could get the boom out of the way when motoring around and changed the pulley set up to equal amounts for peak and throat so that i can smoothly raise the sail. I have my throat on a fixed cleat and my peak on a cam cleat...the topping lift is on a cam cleat as well...so far, i am ok with the club foot on the jib - because it is one less thing to think about...i did notice last weekend when there was some wind that letting the jib fill will change the boats direction and you have to sort of steer and fill to keep the boat going in the direction you want it...

i will hopefully know more about it after my sail this weekend....

it is fair to say that i am a long way from being complete with my weekender. but i wanted it to be sailable - my priority was getting on the water and out of the boatshed....

a.

here is me sailing last week:

IMGP0367.sized.jpg

in the lightest wind ever - but the weekender sails in some pretty light air!!!

Brit, I didn't realize you hadn't ever sailed. Unfortunately I've winterized my boat and got it in storage. When the weather improves - Mar/Apr give me a buzz & I'll take you out on the GSL.

I modified my steering setup to have a turnbuckle in the lazerette. It's hard to see here since it's behind the spindle. This arrangement used 2 knots, but I replaced them with rope clamps and they work great.

boat0276.jpg

Brit' date=' I didn't realize you hadn't ever sailed. [/quote']

Yes, now the cat's out of the bag... :cry: I did, however, get to paddle a sailboat around in absolutely NO wind on Bear Lake when I was 11 or 12 years old. I'm pretty sure there's got to be more to it.

Sorry, Phil, I was going to call you and check out Aloha, but work went haywire again, and I've been working unbelievable hours (check out the time of this post - I just got home :shock:. I was able to mill out the staves for my mast, though). I will make sure I've got time off in March/April to take you up on your offer.

I knew the rope clamps would work. Is the turnbuckle to adjust the tension, or just a way to end the steering rigging?

Stump- your 2 x 4 boom really ISN'T overkill. A gaffer relies somewhat on boom weight to help shape the sail off the wind. a heavier boom is a good thing on them. So don't worrry over much about that.

Very good point. I quite often run the main sheet down to a cleat on the leeward side and then back to my hand. This 'pulls' down on the boom slightly. It makes a huge difference in sail performance/shape.

I'm stalled in the completion process at the point of glassing the hull, deck, etc. I have everything I need to finish it, except for resin. All my spars and brightwork pieces are ready to install and in some cases finish after installation. Have sails, trailer, furling system, several motors to choose from except for an electric trolling motor for freshwater use and I'm finishing up my rope stropped blocks right now.

Currently lack a shop or space to finish it and have been awaiting an OK from my Doctors to go ahead. Resin issues may prevent me from using epoxy and may have to go with vinylester resins instead along with a positive pressure full face mask for sanding finishing work.

Been a long time since I started and I'm really wanting to get it in the water. But fortunately I have a lot of really good sailing buddies that I can hitch a ride with on a pretty regular basis.

You can see my progress photos in the Gallery.

I knew the rope clamps would work. Is the turnbuckle to adjust the tension' date=' or just a way to end the steering rigging?[/quote']

Brit, sorry it's taken me so long to answer. I've been out of town & rather busy too. Yes, rather than have the designed u-bolts extending through the gunnels (where you might catch something or worse yet tear some skin), I put a turnbuckle inside the lazerette to keep tension up. The little slip flange on the spindle is to allow the rope to slip and adjust the centering of the wheel when tensioning is necessary. This way now knots are necessary. There are other types of modifications to do the same thing, but they seem overly complex and this one seems to work just fine for me.

• 2 years later...

G,day Phil,Johno here from Bittern Victoria in Aus. I have to apologise first for getting you mixed up with Frank Hagan,dont ask how cause I dont know.I thought that he had made wooden blocks for his weekender when in fact it was your good self instead.I wanted to make some for my weekender which I hope to be launching this summer (southern hemisphere).They seem to be the finishing touch to the traditional look of the weekender,besides the fact that I dont like having always buy chandlery I know I can make.I was on a building site 3 days ago,when to my delight the site boss let me have several lengths of the tightest grained Jarrah I have ever seen,perfect for block making.However I have no idear how to make the rope strop or how to get it tight around the eye,could you please give some pointers as to how its done and what you used. regards Johno