Chain and Ball ?

john bowen

OK, this being my first Post and all...............

I don't have alot of time right now. Because, I'm out here standing on this here plank, that's protruding from this Great ship "Messing About". I've got this here ball and chain I'm holding and the sharks are swimming below me. Frank is standing there looking mean and gurgling"EEERRRRR", saber in hand and thrusting it my way. Every time the ship lists the plank bends with a cracking sound. Ya all are on deck, crowding around on one side (which an't helping none on that listing thing), woundering what the heck is going on. Frank is talking at ya, telling ya what I've done ( of course he's not gusta talking, he's yellen, in between his EEERRRRRR!) the roughty bunch ya are. He's calling me a swine and trader......... :twisted: :roll:

OK, here's the thing. I've decided on the build of another sailboat other than the Great( :wink: :)) Weekender. SOooo, do I have ta step-off this ship or can I stick around? You've got a good thing going on here and I

know I could be a good swabbie. :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing close to the word Weekender in my life is boating on the weekend almost always when the tourists leave town to go back to the big city. I would ahve been bared a long time ago if weekenders was part of my login profile. Heck whats ever worse around here is I use only Itch and Scratch Plans. Ever heard of them?

Might as well think of "Frank's Plank" as a diving board instead and dive right in. Lots of good people here with good input and support. Most of us really like seeing "other" projects discussed.

Just remember, ya got tu git ah "Moanin' chair" an a sturdy box for the brew to sit on or ya jus don quite git the picktur. :roll: Obviously, more photos than less, more input than lurking makes for an active board and less boredom. :wink:

Heck, this ain't no weekender. As you can see we have a tendancy to go round and round sometimes, and when it gets really deep, a good step stool will help you wade through some of the workings of misfits here like me. :lol: Its best to hit me twice to see more of what I am working on, when you see me wadeshore here.

post-0-129497644613_thumb.jpg

Last I knew, Oyster had a Weekender lurking around his shop too. Needs a bit of loving restoration but twas still a Weekender. Most interesting is his scrap wood pile that keeps getting totally interesting projects started from it.

Once ya got the itch, ya got to scratch it and he's definitely got the itch.

Thank ya one and all :D

I kind'a figured ya all wouldn't mind but, I thought it'd be best to ask anyhow. I do beleave what is behind these Forums is that sharing and learning thing. You all do that here (and more).

Thanks again for the replies.

PS. Oyster, thanks for the reminder about that Profile thing...... :oops:

About that beer thing----trust me :)

The madness? EEERRR, that's one of the reasons I still wanted to be here :wink: .

The Glen-L 15, Minuet, is the one I decided on for a first. It seems to be a good build for what I'm looking for at this time. Then work on a small trawler to do The Loop. But, for now there are other hurdles to contend with, like a shop :) . All in time.

Good luck with your new projects. It does sound like you have a lot ahead to look foward indeed.

Adla, yes that is part of my update. What it doesn't show is the laminates that is required to make that compound bend and curve. Depending on which way you look at it, say from the stern, each side goes down hill to the sides and flares out creating the need to make them thin, to take that twist and a solid glue point. I made more sawdust that what I ended up with in solid wood. The actual band is only one layer, joined at the middle with a scarfed seam that also needs to be on the two angles creating a small vee if you layed the band down flat..

John,

It's been my experience that many boats are welcome here. Ya gotta watch out fer the accent on the pirate-speak though. I can't tell by the way ye type but I think yer meanin Aaarrr! when yer sayin Eeerrr! Now I'll cut yer a little slack on account o my bein a transplant myself but yer gotta polish that accent a bit round some o these blokes or ye might truly find yerself chained to the hulk of a gaffer that started as a scaled up cradle till the epoxy went south in the heat with nuthin but a single sheet of 100 grit betwixt you and the next messabout.

So watch yer Aaarrrs and remember ta say "Oh, aye!" when yer offered some TEA. It's the way of the pirate alphabet!

Welcome aboard, mate.

I hope that the preceeding was as incomprehensible as it was meant to be (and thank you Michael Nesmith for bringing us the pirate alphabet).

As long as you're bringing the grog, you can stay!

I looked long and hard at the Minuet when I decided on the Weekender; its a nice boat and Glen-L has always been a good company ... they are nice to the builders and very helpful, I've heard. I actually have some plans from them ... for a little two seater run-about called Squirt that I really should build. I think Jan and I would have a blast on it, even with the 5hp outboard from our sailboat.

Glen-L also has some trailer plans that guys should look at ... requires welding, but they are pretty well laid out.

Aye tis a worthy wee pirate ship ye be buildin there yer swab an all be welcom ere at Capn Franks priate harbor fer sure fer sure :wink:

As for GlenL and their designs... Ive had this wee fascination for the Noyo Trawler for some time now can just see me out there at the 5 mile reef droppin the crayfish pots overboard and settin a half dozen lines an sittin back the wee put put motor chuggin as I trawl along... aaahhh the dreams eh?

Still an all the Weekender won out... but then even if I was only going to build a ruddy canoe... mmm I think I done did that??? oh right I did duuuhhh and that was while I was a member here just didnt yarn as much then as now... quiet silent type I am... as you all know :roll:

Anyways where was I? oh right!! Ive presently got four boats in progress all at varying stages the weekender Atkins Valgerda and 2 Wee lassie canoes... Weekender at the stage of sorting some space so I can put the bum on her and completeing the wheel and deadeyes... the Valgerda at the stage of standing the frames on the keel and steam bending the tiller... the canoes well the moulds are up!! no strips cut yet nor the stem peices either... but hey!! the woods there for them!! :oops:

This is probably... no definantly the nicest forum Ive been to on the net... sure others have a lot more info and a lot more fast and furious threads but then they get the trolls too by the dozen!! this place is just like a nice quiet tropical harbor where weve each hoved to and are resting for awhile till the next ebb tide and fair wind arises 8)

Mike? Im still cogitating on how Im going to get a fantail stern on a weekender!! Any ideas how Id go about it?

Cheers!!

Oh and welcome John!!

Yep dingo, find you a set of plans with it. :lol: You will not live long enough to make everything work on this hull. Get in the water and then tackle a project that has it, my friend. Thanks for the rewrite there. You are so right in your explanation. I have been bad and cannot post anymore. I am so tramatized too.

edited as my speeling lacks a bit as I have been reading too much dingo droppings. :lol::lol: :twisted: