Turning Question

P Doug (WA)

I am playing around with my lathe to get some experience before I try the hollow spiral candle holder. I want to turn a couple of little bowls from some wood my wife got me when she was on a trip. Great wife!

My lathe came with a 6" face plate, the wood I have to turn is about 4 1/2" in diameter. Can I make a center screw faceplate out of like 3/4" plywood about 3" in diameter fasten it to the metal faceplate and fasten the bowl stock to the center screw faceplate? Is that safe? I don't see this in my "Turning Wood with Richard Raffan" book.

You would be better off in getting a smaller face plate. Then use a glue block to attach the piece to the face plate. Plywood may work, but I dought t. I good hardwood glue block works wonders! :) I use cyanoacryalate to attach them (super 'type' glue). Hot Stuff is an excellent brand.

A good investment is a 4 jaw chuck. I see that Home Depot is now stocking the Oneway and the Nova chucks. I prefer the Oneway, but they both are good units. Get a dovetail scraper and cut a dovetail onto the bottom of the stock. Then inset the cuck jaws into the dovetail to hold it in place. The chhuck are around $200 for the basic unit. You will need to know the spindle diameter and thread pitch for the proper insert.

Depending upon the direction of the grain, you will need to use either a spindle gouge or a bowl gouge. They do NOT interchange in application. The bowl gouge is the one I was refering to that will need to be re-ground from factory grind. The spindle gouges aren't as particular.