Closed compartment pressure equalizer hole

Dale Niemann

I think its a bad idea to completely close a compartment. I would install a small access port. If you put in a small hole eventually water will get in. Without an access port you will never _know_ what it is doing. With an access port you can see and no longer need or want that small hole.

Just my opinion

Ed Tomlinson

I wouldn't do that. If you get water in there it would stay.

Can you put a round deck plate on the side or top somewhere. So when you store the boat you can remove it for ventilation? I am sure you know they come in sizes 4" to 8 or 10. I used the 6 inch ones on the Penobscot 14 floation chambers I built. When I got done sailing I would unscrew the opening for ventilation.

If your worried about pressure, you can always unscrew the lid a quarter turn.

Scott

Here's what I did:

I glued a small piece of 1/4" plywood (as a doubler) on the inside of my seat bouancy compartments (4 total) in a corner that will drain into the cockpit. I then drilled an oversized holes through the seat sides/ doubler, filled with thickened epoxy, and then drilled and tapped 1/4-20 holes. Before I glued on the seat tops, I faired the inside of the bouancy compartment with thickened epoxy to remove any steps and ensure any trapped water would flow to the holes.

I bought some pan head 1/4-20 bronze screws, slipped O-rings over the shanks and screwed them in. The O-rings are squeezed between the screw heads and the outside of the seat side. In the fall, when I winter the boat, I plan to remove the screws and let the compartments dry out. I'll post a picture if you want to see them.

Tom

Thanks everyone for your feedback. What is so great about this forum is all the helpful folks out there. I really appreciate your feedback.

Because of all the comments, I have decided not to drill any holes and to opt for a 8" deck hatch mounted on the seat side. I actually had seen this setup on Graham's CS17 when he was here for the WaterTribe in March. I didn't think I would need the extra storage so was going to take the cheap route. However, in light of my thoughts on pressure and your comments I will go for the hatches.

Thanks again