Woodworking vises

capt jake

I picked up two nice woodworking vises the other day for a song. Being as I have never actually had one to use (always improvised with a meta working vise) I need some advice. Is there really any need to install two of them on a bench? I am contemplating selling one to recover the investment of both of them.

Is one typically sufficient or should I install them both?

I guess the answer is "it depends". :lol:

I have two on mine and use them both. But I have my bench set up for the two.

bench_front.JPG

As you can see, I use an old leg vice on the front but it could be a regular vice too. I have a sliding deadman on the front to support the end of longer boards. As it's name implies it slides in a dado and the support is held in place by a couple of dowel pins. So I could put a wide board up there if I need.

bench_back.JPG

My table has dog holes in it that line up with the end vice. I attached a large block with a dog hole to the vice. I can clamp boards flat on the bench to work on. After using this bench for a few months now I love it and can't imagine not having a proper bench to work on.

If I were to build another I would build it with the two vices setup like this one. I find them extremely useful and use both of them all the time. But you may work different them me and this might not suit your work style.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Okay, here goes another attempt to teach my self to post photos to a thread. This is my Emmert Patternmaker's Vise. They haven't been made since the 1960's, but are available on eBay for a few hundred dollars. If you had one, you'd agree it was money well spent. There is a modern smaller, made in China or Thaiwan knock off available from Woodcraft.

post-1454-129497667069_thumb.jpg

post-1454-129497667106_thumb.jpg

post-1454-129497667133_thumb.jpg

post-1454-129497667159_thumb.jpg

post-1454-129497667191_thumb.jpg

post-1454-129497667223_thumb.jpg