Projects (other than boats)

P Doug (WA)

This is a good idea. I belong to another woodworking forum, but there are some on there that get so rude it ruins it for everyone. I don't know what they get out of being that way but oh, well..

Anyway, let's see some projects. I'll post my most recent if I can figure out how to do it.

minimini11414742dr.jpg

minimini11414717ve.jpg

Should have straighten up a bit before I took the picture! :?

I built a cradle for my 4th grandchild....took me that long to get around to building one :oops: . It is made from red oak purchased from Home Depot (before I found much better local mills) and glued together with Gorilla Glue. It is now about 2 years old and shows no signs of failing joints.

A couple of years before the cradle I built several stools for my two youngest and the grand kids. They varied in length based on where they were headed, but all looked pretty much like this one. They are made from my neighbor's scrap pile from adding on a second story. It is yellow pine I think? Anyway the pieces were planed down to 1-1/4 inch thickness and the joints are glued with Gorilla Glue. None of these stools have broken yet. They also are used by the kids for benches.

Great Morris chair, P Doug ... is that a sailboat inlay on the side?

I'll have to be a lurker here ... at least until I get some more projects finished. I'd love to make some Mission style furniture. I have an end table plan that I hope to start soon, but other projects always seem to take precedence over furniture.

My other projects have been a bit more utilitarian so far ... an entertainment center is the only "furniture" style project so far. I am working on a cradle for my first grandchild, but have to get moving ... the kid will be here by Christmas!

Well done fellas!

I as yet havent been game enought to make chairs will do in the next few years

As for cradles well... I have been ordered "MAKE ONE BEFORE CHRISSY" as our 3rd daughter and her partner are expecting our first grandnipper just after... but see the daughter has demanded I make it "like a boat dada" scarey stuff mmm... so do I make it carvel? traditional plank on frame? play lapstrake strip planked or what? and what rig should it have? schooner rigged lug or just a plain ol fashioned gaff... and do I make it along the lines of a canoe? a schooner? a whacketty dak Aussie 2 fin keel an all? or maybe Im on the wrong track altogether! an they want an outboard job so how do I make that!!! or maybe the old timey fishin boat style?... strewth why cant these flamin sheilas just say "Dada make me a canoe shaped cradle for the new nipperkins will you please" instead of openin up a mind bending array of design choices eh? flamin hoonberries

As for other things... Ive made a few things namely a Jarrah dining table 2 coffee tables first was a solid sheoak one beautiful colors... the second a Tuart (mustard coloring) Jarrah (deep red) and Sheoak (golden flame honey colored with a lacey textured grain) one stunning color cordination for a color blind fella :D also made a couple of clocks for Chrissy pressys last year using Banksia Jarrah Sheoak Messmate and Tuart and a lovely wee jewelery box for my 3rd daugters engagement out of all the above and a microwave oven stand... I have orders from family for a matching pair of Marri lampstands an Jarrah artists easel an self designed crafters centre for chrissy... but as yet no shed so theyre on the back burner till it arrives

heres a couple of pics (note to self... strewth I hope this works)

47b4d600b3127cce9b83657eced900000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

47b4d600b3127cce9b83657f4fe800000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

47b4d600b3127cce9b83657d4fea00000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

One of my favorite photos best Ive taken I reckon my first mallet complete with block plane chisel and shavings!

47b4d809b3127cce9b837a1a990300000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

The sheoak coffee table

47b4dc26b3127cce9b836515767800000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

and in spite of Frank!! :D a half model to keep it maritime

47b4ce09b3127cce9b837b4635ba00000016108AZMnLNy2ctL

mmmm nope didnt work cant see a bloody thing other than the humongus letter number thingy but then Ive been having massive probs seein pics here for awhile now cant even see the smilies and yep cookies are acceptable to me... ah well a tad of copy an paste eh?!

Great Morris chair' date=' P Doug ... is that a sailboat inlay on the side?[/quote']

That is a little sailboat I cut out. I didn't like the plans design.

Seems like someone on this forum made a boat cradle like the one shown only it was all bright finish. Was that Capt. Jake? I remember it was real pretty.

Nice projects Greg. Wish I had made a cradle for my grandkids. They are too old now!

Wild D.. I couldn't see the images for some reason. Just the addresses and when I copied and pasted them them couldn't be found. Don't know if it is your problem or mine.

P no idea why its happening seems I cant get many pics to show period (I get an occasional one but only occasionally) Ive tried the methods stated in other threads but nothing seems to work yet anywhere else no problems just seems to be me an this site :(

I do have to copy and paste most pics to get them ala the cradle above... here it just doesnt appear open another page insert the copy and whallah there it is

Greg I recall the same cradle lovely sweet thing not boxy or a quicky at all sorta along the lines of a small carvel planked dinghy (skiff) type with broad form through the middle for the babe... lovely... I thought it was Chad Smith from Chattanooga but I could be wrong and it may have been Jake or Charlie Jones but it definantly was SOMEONE! :D

Ive never found any plans anywhere... and thats me conundrum but Im about to resolve it and go cut some wood!! Sorta shape it as I go that sorta thing and since its for a tiny tacker and will never go in the water it doesnt have to be boat lines perfect just a close rendition

The cradle I made was from the same plans that Gregs first one is made from. I was going to make it 'boat fashion' but opted for the straighter quicker lines. ;)

Just in case there is some confusion, I did not make that second one, but saved the pics when I was exploring options to make the first one. :)

My most recent projects have nothing to do with boats unfortunately. So I am glad to see this group! The last year and half have been devoted to building a house. I didn't bite off more than I could chew but it sure it taking a long time to get it finished. I thought I would be started on my boat months ago! Here are some of my latest projects on the house.

I am currently working on trim form the walls in the Dining Room. This is my 'story board'. It is a plate rail, stiles and the baseboard. Soft maple.

walltrim.jpg

Here is a closer view of the plate rail.

platerail.jpg

I finished up the columns and the coffered beams in the Dining Room a couple of months ago. The trim pictured above goes over the wood you see on the wall. I didn't build the cabinets. We had our cabinet maker do that. But no one wanted to do the tapered columns so I just did them myself.

columns.jpg

I just finished (well almost) installing the front columns. I had them cut out and laying in the basement for months now. Just couldn't get to installing them for more important tasks. This was taken while I waited on the glue to dry.

column_installed2.jpg

Once I get the trim in the Dining room done, I have to build two sets of Craftsman garage doors then all my big projects are done. Of course them I have to start building furniture for the house. But I think the boat will get started after the doors too.

A few things lately...Blanket Rack, clocks (prototypes for Christmas), and of course, a Sea Chest!

The Blanket rack came from DIY David Marks Show and has an added rail. The clocks are similar to "Norms" shaker clock, but are a culmination of many plans I've seen. The sea chest can be found in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking...I didn't slant the sides though...

always something in the works...

cheers,

Bill

brack6ob.jpg

clk19vs.jpg

clk24re.jpg

chst1xm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

other than the brite stuff on morgaine - my woodworking has always needed a little help to look right - so i paint it.

plus the old house i live in has loads of built ins and it would be silly to depart from the utilitarian nature of the existing structures. i built this set of shelves before Morgaine - rather than cut dados i built them in live:

C_thinking_thinking.sized.jpg

E_starting_the_project.sized.jpg

I_the_mess_i_made.sized.jpg

J_Fill_before_sand.sized.jpg

N_The_end_2.sized.jpg

i plastered it in to make it look like it goes there...hehehe and then filled it with books i had just stacked in piles ---

a.

For Wild Dingo, the woodenboat store and probably Amazon sells a book called The Expectant Father's Cradle Boat Book. Details a strip built Bahama dinghy and a plywood pram. I built the pram for my nephew. I gave the book to a good friend when they were having their first and he was almost in tears.