• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the best i can do since it isn't light out and the mast is down

IMGP0206.thumb.jpg

IMGP0208.thumb.jpg

IMGP0205.thumb.jpg

that last one is ugly - hehehe i am not trying to make this a museum piece - the brightwork all needs attention still but what good is making the boat pretty if i can't get the rigging right....

i glued the gaff jaws back together and just bolted them - i don't anticipate wanting to fix them again if that doesn't hold so the ugly hole will get filled with epoxy and wood flour and i will varnish over it (later) - ganna take my Pa sailing soon - and the movement of the spars and sheets is my priority.

one of those pics is Dave's idea for lifting the mast easier - but that only works after a certain point and before a certain point when lowering it...HEAVy thing that mast.

a.

"one of those pics is Dave's idea for lifting the mast easier" It is? Gee. :oops:

re: The post before the one with the pictures, I'm only guessing but I think you are asking about lacing eyelets and not eyebolts? You can use short pieces of line (robands) to individually tie through the eyelets or you can lace it. I used robands on the foot of my sail this year and I'll probably do the same for head next year. I found it was easier to set up but that's just me.

Sounds like you're making great progress on that rigging. I know it is kind of frustrating to have to put the mast up, take it down, put it up... I've wished I had one of those cherry picker buckets so I could leave the mast up while installing the rigging. I wish I knew someone who had one.

Keep up the momentum.

don't give me ideas...i just realized that it might be easier to scoot the trailer back once i get the mast up and crawl up on the roof and work the rigging that way - it is so difficult to figure out what i meant to do once the whole mast is down and lines are everywhere...i am close though.

a.

Alda, This link has some rigging photos. I have also changed the halyard attachment to the gaff jaws to a bridle arraingment. How is your main attached? Out hauls at the gaff peak and the main boom? I'll post some photos for you tonight for main sail attachments and out hauls etc. You will get better power out of the main if it is loose footed and cut with a bow in the bottom. Always buy too mucg line. It's hell to streatch very far. :) :)

http://members.cox.net/~bb343/index

Pictures for those who can't read:

IMGP0210.sized.jpg

So, instead of going up in a chair...i threw the ladder on the roof...got on the roof from the other side (stable ladder pic not included) and straightened out my halyards (?)

IMGP0212.sized.jpg

don't pay any attention to the jib pulley - that is tomorrows project. I only need one line if i use the club foot, right??

IMGP0211.sized.jpg

i'm ganna get it figured out. Does anyone else's eyebolt hit their mast when the gaff and peak are up? Maybe it won't do that when I have the sails on.

a.

It's looking good, Adla. Don't let OSHA catch you with that ladder up there. ;) I guess you'll be alright as long as you don't add a wheeled office chair on top of the ladder. They really hate that! :D

As far as the eyebolt on the gaff, I didn't use one. I made a little short line with an eye spliced in one end to which the block is attached. The other end of the line passes through a hole and has a figure eight stopper tied in it.

Over the winter I intend to make a new gaff, jaws and all. The block will be attached via an eye strap like most of the other blocks are.

I expect it will be fine.

Dave

Adla,

You may want to think about the twist links to replace the Quick links at the mast head. This helps keep things in better alignment and blocks from flopping over and getting twisted up.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/shackles/sd147404-6-8/index.htm

They also are good to hook up the shrouds to the plates. Bit more expensive than quick links but they save a lot of frustration and tangled/twisted lines and blocks where appropriate.

THE VOICE OF REASON - see (i am up studying for midterms) when i was out there i couldn't see the hang-up / twist up...but i looked at the photos and thought....looks like it needs something to keep it from twisting....i thought about turning the eyebolts and then just rotated the pic and thought...mabye, nah ---- twist links. SMART...

but what u see is a vast improvement....i can drop either line quickly...and i untangled the rats nest up there. using the carport roof as a working place is the next smartest thing....no lifting the mast 20times = back pain...lethargy..etc.

a.

Geez, I just figured it out, I resemble that remark! :roll:

One other thing that you touched upon, despite the intense focus on mid-terms.

If the eyes (on the eye bolts) are set vertically, the links don't twist on them from side to side to as great a degree. (Flop over.) :shock: Or set front to back on the bowsprit rather than side to side. The twist links can be a simple and effective solution to many "misalignment" situations in rigging. 8)

They might help Capt. Jake on his mast as well with the one block that continues to want to get misaligned constantly. Hadn't thought about it for his challenge until now. :wink:

I may not be good, but I'm slow. :lol:

Nope, that twist in the halyard is the culprit. I am going to make a gaff bridle saddle and eliminate one block. I think by eliminating one change of direction I will at least minimize the twisting. I am also going to increase the size of a couple of the sheaves. This is all based on the assumption that I actually get motivated and go out there....

• 3 weeks later...