pinless centerboard

wkisting

Not sure if you all have seen this before or not, but thought I would post it... it's a slick design for a pin-less centerboard, so no worries about keeping the pin-area waterproofed.

It looks like it would be a hassle to adapt for use in a cabin-style boat like the P22, but might adapt well to a Core Sound, where the full CB slot is mostly exposed.

Check it out: http://gaboats.com/tutorials/nopincenterboard.html

• 1 month later...

I've looked at the drawings, and it's not clear to me what keeps the board from swinging back (hinging on those little wheels) in response to the pressure of the flowing water? Granted it would be a nice feature if you hit bottom, but I'm not sure I'd trust lateral pressure and friction to hold the board down at speed. More and more, I like the positive control of cb angle I get with the combination of uphaul and downhaul on my cs. And, so far, no leaking at the pin.

I used to sail on Thistles quite a lot and occaisionally on a Flying Scot. The boards are wieghted at the bottom, the pivot point is at the intersection of the bottom of the boat and the forward end of the centerboard slot. There is a bit of force at that point so it would need to be pretty solid. I don't ever remember having problems with the board not cooperating.