Oyster, status report...

Craig

Was wondering the same thing Craig... that stern is a real feature eh!...

mmmm gots me ming workin here... now if one were to be really adventurous ones ming starts to wonder just how would that stern would look on the weekender? could it be done? what about if one were to lift it a tad and make it a nice wee counter stern how would that look on a weekender?

Dahmnatall Mike!!! here I am without plans in hand and yer gettin me friggin ming goin all over the ruddy place mate!! :D

Captain,

I am back on this morning. Ophelia was much like Shakespear's Ophelia in Hamlet. Born under abnormal circumstances, extremely fickle in her intentions and more powerful than appearances would show. Her "eye" was 60 miles in diameter with 85-90 mph wind in the eyewall and even further out. The average level 2 or 3 hurricane might not have winds that strong at the same distance. The worse thing about her was that she just sat on the NC coast and moved only one eye diameter in about 24 hours at 3mph or less.

Neither Graham, Mike nor I had any real damage from this one, mainly due to the wind direction for Graham and I and higher ground for Mike. I had about 6 or 7 inches in my shop and storeroom which was much less than I expected and have only messy clean up to do and no loss of equipment. Overall, the damage from Ophelia seems to be less than expected although I suspect that the "beach nourishment" program at Atlantic beach and nearby areas was rendered completely irrelevant.

The fat lady has not even come on stage yet so we are holding our applause.

Tom, I have been watching the webcam at the docks and it is really hard to see the affects of the storm. Sorry to hear about the water in the shop, but it sounds like it could have been much worse. I know Graham is sitting pretty low, did he get 'wet'?

Never did make it to Mike's but after driving the town, it did appear to be higher in elevation. I guess we really lucked out on our visit there (by not having any storms).

Right now I am on a remote link, as my cable wiring has suffered some damage from water. My kitchen wall, which is a load bearing wall received water damage from my roof, one of those things that showed up a small amount during the night, that started in my roof about four feet from where it ended up showing up down my sheetrock and has now balloned to a mess. I think I can fix it if I can find the original plans for the house. You know plans are important for building stuff. :wink:

I will begin removal of it, when I finish up the outside mess. BUt overall for the length of time that the surrounding eyewall , which my place was with a hand full of miles from it, inshore, we were lucky. We had reported gusts at the sailing bridge if anyone remembers the shots, around 115, but substain winds of 8o plus. This area, for the most part is pretty hurricane proofed, since the previous history of the ones. Its the water that did most of the damage this time.

On most of the barrier islands, still the usual underwater stuff. There are still ones that have not finished rebuilding from Isabel, and even some from Floyd, in some of the lower lying areas. I will be in touch, Steve, if I canget out from my cell. I am that far from your destination, and would love to have you guys for dinner or even the weekend. It takes about one hour and forty minutes of four lane for you. Tom is on the north side of the sound and maybe he may be in a condition for dinner too.

But the good news, all the boats and the reclaimed shop made it with flying colors. :D I will check in next week and see how the launchiing group made out. Cheers :)