Progressing

kydocfrog

Things progress. The coamings around the extended slot-top opening are progressing, although there are still some fit and finish details. The mast stub is fitted, and walking forward with the slot top gives full access to the mast as planned. The mast is glued up, but shaping and tapering is taking a bit longer than I hoped. And here she is sporting her green, white and buff paintjob. Sail material and trailer are on hand.

BTW;how does everyone get such big full pictures up? By the time I cut things down to 800 x 600, heck, I loose just about the whole shot. I would have tossed in a picture of the mast, but it is more than 800 pixels long...

DocA

post-520-12949764348_thumb.jpg

post-520-129497643491_thumb.jpg

Actually if folks click on your shot twice, or as in my case, the shots will full screen. Great job on your boat. It looks great from here. 8) Many times pictures loaded on another website will show differently in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Doc. I'm quite impressed with the slot top concept. Should make managing things a lot more convenient. Unless, of course, the cabin sole gets filled with stuff all the time like most I've seen. :roll: Nothing like flat Twinkies and Ho Ho's and potatoe chip crumbs. :lol:

I like the colors and your workmanship and finish look really good. Another fine Weekender to add to the fleet.

I'm very interested in how your soft top will be fabricated and set up. I can see lots of practical possibilities in that concept.

Thanks! I'm pleased with the colors too, but I have to concede that the finish looks a lot better in the digital at a distance mode than it does with the mark-one eyeball at docking distance. I'm afraid my claim to perfecting the dog food finish technique, dribbles and drips, does hold true in some cases.

As to the slot top; I'm pleased with it so far. I am having some difficulty with the details where the the coamings come together with the companionway coamings. Its a difficult detail to start with when it wasn't part of the original design. The forward end is easy enough; it is cut at the forward overhead beam. The inner companionway coaming was installed to design by previous owner. If this had been done from scatch, the companion way coamings would have extended to the same height as the hatch coamings, making a much easier detail. And, as NASA says, cumulative error is a bear...

Eventually it will have probably both a snap-fit toneau style cover and maybe a little soft sitting heighth camping top. I had hoped to be in the water by the end of this month, but I'm not sure now.