I'm no longer a boat builder.

rolandblais

I'm also a boat sailor.

After long last, I have reached a stage in the building of My Sailboat that she was ready for a test sail.

Guess what, she floats, she leaks (not bad), and she actually sails! I spent all morning getting things ready, and then at 2:30, this guy from a local sailing club (I had put the word out I wanted to do a shakedown sail and solicited help from the club - I'm soooo glad I did, read on) showed up and we headed out to a nearby lake called Lahontan - it's about 25 minutes away. So we got out there, set it up, and launched it. At the dock we watched water seep into the cabin. I was afraid of that, I knew that there was a small leak; I thought I might have fixed it, but no luck. It still leaked. But, since it was so slow, neither one of us lost confidence. We decided to sail.

We took it out with the mainsail only so we would have one less thing to worry about. We motored out (with the 46lb thrust trolling motor - gonna have to upgrade that - I was unhappy with it's performance) and we sailed it for about 10 minutes, and then we hit another problem. It became apparent during a tack that my steering control had gone. :shock: I could turn from straight to port, but not to starboard. The bad thing was that in order to sail back to the dock, we needed to turn starboard. So, we turned on the trolling motor and brought her about. That's when we noticed the third, fourth and fifth problems.

Third problem - I had reversed the wiring for the trolling motor. No biggie, all that meant was 3 forward speeds instead of 5.

Fourth Problem - Turn the motor to port, it hits the rudder. No biggie, I can move the motor mount and make another rudder.

Fifth Problem - Turn the motor to port, and it wants to lift off the mount and fall into the lake. Even though I really cranked down on the mount screws. No biggie, I can route a recess for the mounting brackets to prevent slippage.

We made it back to the dock, and assessed the steering. It seems that the rope I used as part of the steering system was slipping on the wheel's axle. Ok, so we wrap the rope around the axle two more times, and tested it, and it seemed taut, and good to go. No more slippage.

This time I headed out by myself, so my new friend could take some pictures of the boat out on the water (I was so nervous today I forgot my camera!). This time, because of the wind, I sailed right off the dock.

It was Frickin' AWESOME. For about 10 minutes I was in beam reach heaven.8) I was sailing, and not just sailing, but sailing a boat I had built myself. The wind was up, the boat was heeled slightly, and carp were jumping all around me. It was a pretty darn good feeling. Then, the steering problem happened again. :shock: Ok, well, time to head back... But because of the wind, It was very hard to get back this time, but I made it it. I had to reach behind the boat with my arm to manually force the rudder over, but I could get where I needed to be. Or so I thought... I missed the dock and was being pushed by the wind right into the rocky shoreline adjacent to the dock. :o I had enough time to throw the motor hard to port to swing her around (but remember the motor - rudder situation?) the boat swung around, away from the shore, but... the water was too shallow for the rudder now (but that's ok, It "kicked up" as designed, so, another ding, but no harm, no foul. I can always create another rudder, it's not to big a deal. So back again at the dock, we decide to call it a day.

All in all, it was a great experience, and I have some more work to do on this thing, but at least it worked for a while! Hopefully I can update this with some pics before too long.

Oh, and last but not least - I think I may have fubarred my trolling motor. I stowed it in the cockpit for the drive home, forgetting to disconnect the battery. When I retrieved it from the cockpit, the motor was too hot to touch. Uh-oh. The motor must have jostled and moved the throttle to an on position. I'm still afraid to see if it's burned out... :roll:

The only problem I don't know how to remedy at the moment is the steering slippage - I deviated from the plans by using a pipe instead of a wooden dowel (I was worried about strength and the axle/wheel joint, also) - I don't know if the wooden dowel added to the friction fit of the rope or what... The steering rope was very taught, it just seemed that the rudder pressure was more than the system could withstand. If I can't think of anything else, I may fit a pipe over the existing stub tiller and extend it through the lazzarette and have a regular tiller... I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Peace,

Roland

Congratulations !!! There are always several shake down ventures. ;) Stump has a problem with his steering nearly the same as yours. I am not sure what his remedy will be. Trolling motors need to be in water as the water is teh 'coolant'. bummer. :(

Good story and I will have to sheck out your link to see further. It is an awesome feeling going out in something that you built. And built from scratch no less! :)

Greta going!!! :) :) :)

congratulations on your launch day, you didn't tip into the water, so it was a grand success :)

with regard the steering slipping, doesn't the steering rope go through a hole in the steering shaft so that it doesn't jsut depend on the friction around the shaft to prevent slippage.. I think that was how I did mine and it doesn't seem to slip even when it is quite loose.

Wayne

Well Roland, way to go. What a feeling! Congratulations on your first sail. Don't worry, be happy! Always some little bugs to work out of the system.

OK. Steering, get a little metal strap that you can use to clamp the center of the steering cord down to the shaft. It can be an adjustable hose clamp with the cord running diagonally under it, a strip of metal that has a bend in it for the rope to fit under and then screw it down to the pipe. (You'll have to drill two small holes to accomplish that. It will hold the rope, put a knot on either side of the clamp and that will stop the rope from moving.

Yes, mount the motor bracket as far outboard as possible. Then no worries about hitting it.

The 46# thrust motor is probably enough to get you there and back. But even with a larger motor (more thrust) you are not going to go much faster. The prop is the limiting factor on the trolling motors. They are not designed to move a boat fast regardless of the size. You want to do that, get a gas engine. Then you will push to hull speed and that will be it. Max out at about 5-6 knots.

Really glad you shared this with us.

I'm having the same steering problem you are. I get some pressure on the rudder and the rope slips then I can't turn to starboard. I talked with Barry about the problem and his solution seems like the best and not to hard to do. luckily I used the dowel with a hole through the middle, I'm just going to tie a couple of knots on either side the tighten it back up. I plan on going out tomorrow and getting a couple of access hatches to install on the top of the lazarette for easier access. I just too dang big to be trying to squeeze my way under that wheel. I refuse to loose the wheel. That was one of the boats 8) features. I still get jonesed every time I go out!!!! :D:D

Thanks guys for the encouragement and tips. I've got a couple of ideas I'll be implementing in the next few days.

Stump, you may be interested in these press in deckplates:

BOM-PRESSINB.JPG

link

I've used them and it makes the laz access much easier. I'm glad I used the press in plates, because of the slight curve in the deck I think screw in plates might not work.

abk.jpg

Peace, and thanks,

Roland

One thing you can try is to drill a hole through the pipe big enough for the rope to go through somewhere near the middle of where you have it wrapped around now. Thread the rope through the hole first then wrap it around the pipe several times in each direction away from the hole. This way the rope can't slip because the through-thread won't let it.

Worked like a champ on my boat. Adjusted it once and never had to touch it again.

Russ

Thanks all for the kudos & suggestions. One thing - just to be clear - my steering is built exactly as planned, with the rope passing through, then around the steering shaft. The only difference is the material of the shaft.

I'm going to try a mod or two to prevent the rope slippage and hopefully get her out on the water today or tomorrow (depending on the condition of the motor, too)...

We tried the "several wrap" method at the dock, but it didn't work. Albeit we didn't try it before and after the through hole, just after.

Peace,

Roland

Congradulations!

Steering can be very tricky.

You'll be happy you added those deck plates. I added one and it made hooking up the steering so much easier. I also have a bigger hole for the rudder box's tiller to go through the transom so when I take my stern-light off I can stick my hand through that way too. For where the steering line goes around the wheel shaft, I think there was a knot in the plans to stop if from sliping. I tied one there at least. I would follow Russ's advice and run the line through the pipe like the typical setup and tie a knot in the first loop.

It's alright, the first time I went sailing with my boat in the wind I didn't realize that the rope running through the rudder can be used to actually hold down the rudder, so I had to keep an eye on it and go up on the transom and push it down when it floated up with my foot. This all happened in a crowded mooring.

:oops:

If you are going to keep the electrical system and add on to it, you might want to get a battery switch instead of disconnecting it every time.

RE: Trolling motor connection: The spade connectors were a strictly a temp solution. My fault was leaving the battery connected. I installed something similar to this today (after seeing that my motor still worked, yay!):

p2076006dt.jpg13761.jpg

Much better now. I'll be installing a real electrical system this winter.

I'm still arguing with the steering. I can't work on it tomorrow (other plans) but I'll get 'er done soon. I may have to call in sick again next week. :lol:

Peace,

Roland

That's the type of setup I have for my motor. Put in one access hatch (bought 2) and REALLY cranked down on the rope. I got lazy (common occurence :oops: ) and didn't tie knots on the sides of the holes. I'm gong to take her out with the admiral tomorrow. Let me gaze into the future.....

admiral - I wish to go that way! (pointing to starboard)

me - Yes, ma'am, so do I, I should of listened to Barry and tied the stupid knots!! (frantically popping the top off of the new access hatch while bobbing out of control and performing the repairs whilst leaning over the water) :wink:

OK, I must be psychotic...err...psychic.

Good wind in the late afternoon. This time I could actually feel the rope slip, through the wheel while I was on a starboard tack. I kept having to turn the wheel further and further to starboard to keep a straight course.

So, what does that tell us boys and girls? Pay attention stupid, follow suggestions!!! :oops: DON'T be lazy like yours truly. :roll:

Tomorrow I will be re-exploring the lazarette to tie the knots I should have the last time I was in there.

On the plus side it was never really an issue until I was bringing the boat into the dock. Until then I had enough movement to steer the boat while sailing. :) That might have changed if I had stayed out any longer.

Congratulations Roland!

as you described it, I relived the feeling all over again. That sort of welling of pride when it sinks in (excuse the expression) that you actually build this vessel you are sailing along in.

As regards the wheel, I had similar problems and decided to ditch it for a tiller. Could never get used to the fact that you never knew which way the rudder was pointing.

Pictures man, pictures!

Ok, my sailing buddy finally emailed me some pictures. Here's the proof it floats...

(images are clickable)

aaa.sized.jpg

I wonder what happens if I pull that string???

aab.sized.jpg

She's ready, I'm ready,lets see if she floats!

aac.sized.jpg

Pulling away from the dock.

Now, a couple of notes:

I know I'm sitting on the leeward side. It was my first time with the trolling motor & my right hand doesn't work so well.

I know the fenders were in the water. With time comes finesse. :wink:

The mast is going to be raised about 8 inches and the boom lowered about 6. That should take care of the baggyness at the foot.

"See, I told you it'd float!"

Peace,

Roland

ROland,

Good job on your boat. I'll bet you're as proud as a brand new daddy.

Leaks can be fixed (that's why God gave us duct tape hehehe, kidding)

The steering problem you have is exactly what I was afraid of when I was building mine. I decided to go with aircraft cable instead, and bolted it to the metal tubing (steering shaft). Also installed turnbuckles for tensioning. That was my only worry on the boat on launch day (other than the floating thing) and I still never had to tighten the cable yet, and never had any problems with the steering to this day. I read many nightmare stories about rope steering so far and my honest oppinion is that you can't go wrong with aircraft cable steering. Oh yeah, I did crimp the cable ends as well so that there is no slippage. I also don't quite trust the electric motors for auxiliary power... I think the gas ones have plenty of power (when they run) but then what do you do with an electric one when your battery is dead?

Congrats again on your completion and enjoy sailing.

Florin