Re:Stump

Oyster,

Are you going to plank the stern or use ply? Wow, what a challange, did you steam that?

I will plank the stern. I laminated the frames for the round stern. I did not want to hijack the other thread further. I will only add sustantial single shots and not consume so much bandwitdh on this one. There are others coming that have a lot to add now, and I do wish them as much fun as I am having with my new hull. Cheers and Beers :)

Thanks Oyster, I didn't want to take the thread either but that picture raised too many questions in my mind. Are you building as you go (you seem to have a nack for that) or do you have some model/picture/idea your building from?

From my reading, not practical experiance, it looked like that was the perfect setup for planking.

Have fun and do keep us poor wannabes in the loop. :wink:

Actually for the smart people, its the absolutely perfect setup for simple sheet plywood bent around it, gluing up layers as was done with the frames. But that does not fit my discription. :lol: At this point I may be required to skin a layer over the cedar planking as my number count of board feet after cleaning up the wood for the thickness that I will required, will require a layer which may be better for me anyway for this boat to sit on a trailer and to travel over the road better.

As far as plans, I get sweaty palms when dealing with them. I know what I want so I just kinda wing it and use the faith and prayer set of plans. :wink: , hopinig it will be okay at the judgement gate, or for some folks that needs a bit of defining, thats the launching ramp. :)

Actually we have found that using a flexible caulk, in the sawcut, it does just as good, especially for trailable boats. I have been using shiplap on side planking with no problems in two boats of solid planking, depending on the types of wood, but with this being the curved as it is, it just is too much work and would not have actually fit as well as what you have is actually compound curve since it does have some flare out being carried from the sides.

post-0-129497642632_thumb.jpg

Sorry just got in from a wonderfull afternoon of sailing with my new set of sails. WOW!! :shock: she is something else. Almost blew my hair back, thats the hair on the top of my head Capt. Jake. :lol:

I am using Bostic 920 on this boat. It dries in a day in this heat and sands, and by the case cost about one dollar more than the PL product.

Hey Stump - Keep picking his brain! It lets the rest of us sit back and spectate. It reinforces my lazy nature to not have to ask the questions.

And Oyster - I love the lines. That boat's going to be a neck-breaker (beyond a head-turner). I love the rounded stern and I'm filing both the caulk trick and the lamination jig in my mental cabinet.

Keep us updated or I'll have to drive down there and have a looksee for myself.

Ken, its not like you are a week away from here. I go up to Raleigh for a visit to the Whole Food Market. I know you can take a drive for a sail on the weekend.

I really enjoyed the afternoon on the water today. And if things are the same tommorrow, don't look for any updates on the any stupid boat pictures. 8) Lets just say I will be checking out more curves.......both in the sails and in my partner on board. :lol:

As a point of note, all of my laminates are solid woods, unlike what it may have sounded like in my original post. I never use plywoods for structual stuff.

Pick my brain? Now come on guys, don't go out on a limb and think that anyone that builds boats, nonstop, has any brains. :twisted:

I can certainly take a drive down to sail. I seem to have rotating weekend plans right now though so I have no idea which days in the next 3 weekends or so are free. Let me know if I should pick something up for you at Whole Foods.

It looks like there might be some wind this weekend though (or shortly thereafter)... I hope Irene stays away.

The bus is leaving at around four this afternoon.. :) Yep, it looks as if there might be a bit of wind this weekend, for sure, so don't count on this old fellow being anywhere on the water. I am a cocktail cruiser, and so is my wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am headed to the bow with the planking, and have all the longituals and ribs in place. I have ripped the planking out of the knotted red cedar, leftovers of course, making nice clear pieces cut between the knots, that will be skinned with longitual mahogany, 1.4". I have 1/3 of the hull sides done today. Fun day!!!!!!!

post-0-129497643169_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497643177_thumb.jpg

Yes Tom, I do understand where you are coming from. The planks end up around 1/2"x2 1/2" with a pretty liberal amount of caulking on both sides of the seams, worked into the sawcut, and placed in place with a gentle nudge against the previous one. This has worked for me in most trailable solid planked hulls with dried and stable woods in the cedar family. Of course I am a fanatic about primers, multiple coats, like 8 coats in some cases . We shall see......

Got "Popsicle" planked up to the bow area which will require the usual skipjack style stepping in of the small planks. With the help of a forum menber, in casual conversation. unbeknowings to him, this boat has a name already attached to it unlike the present one which has yet aquired the proper one. He said it looked like a bunch of popsicle sticks, and it has stuck the right nerve. Of course it still needs some sanding after the caulk cures properly, and will be skinned over with planks fore and aft 1/4 inch. This one will get a varnished bellyband.

Click on twice for clarity.

post-0-129497643239_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...