Nav Light Replacements

Greg Luckett

Hi Gang,

Another question for this "bank of knowledge" :D .

The nav lights on my Laguna Balboa need replaced and the easiest thing would be to make exact replacements but I am unsure what they are. Perko maybe? I am interested in opinions and recommendations from this group. I am also posting a couple of pics of the existing ones.

Thanks.

post-65-129497642316_thumb.jpg

post-65-129497642323_thumb.jpg

Greg, I can't help you with the manufacturer but I expect you could get replacement lenses from someone like Hamilton Marine or JD. You ought to be able to call them up and give them some dimensions.

Do you have the manual for the boat? Does it spec the lights?

Take a look at lamps while you're at it. You might be able to replace the incandescent lamps with LED clusters which would have a much longer life and draw less current.

Greg- if you really want that kind of light I probably have some old ones around that you can have.

I'd change them to some newer ones though. I'm using some with plastic housings and high intensity bulbs. Much brighter and the object is, after all, to be seen. I believe they are made by Aqua-Signal. I'lll look at them when I go to the boat a bit later this evening.

Charlie,

I like your thinking. I was looking at some of the Aqua-Signal ones in the BoatUS catalog, but could not decide which ones would fit in the available mounting spaces. I appreciate you letting me know what you used when you get a chance.

Greg.

Greg' date=' I can't help you with the manufacturer but I expect you could get replacement lenses from someone like Hamilton Marine or JD. You ought to be able to call them up and give them some dimensions.

Do you have the manual for the boat? Does it spec the lights?

Take a look at lamps while you're at it. You might be able to replace the incandescent lamps with LED clusters which would have a much longer life and draw less current.[/quote']

For replacements I need to know what it is I have, but no manual came with the boat. It would have been nice....sort of like a manual for raising kids.

I like your idea of possibly using LED clusters. My Laguna uses a couple of batteries and anything lessening the power load is good.

Thanks,

Greg.

At .02 ampere per LED, they are really great for these electrical systems. I just added one to my compass in the cockpit of my weekender (albeit it was a retrofit, I had to drill some holes and add some resistors). There are a bunch of places to get cluster-style online, I can't say I've seen them in stores.

I too, recommend LED assemblies or retro fits. They can relieve the amp load on a boat wide system dramatically. They cost a good bit more then conventional systems, but last a whole lot longer are totally water proof and don't produce any heat, which is a real plus reading a chart under one in a small cabin on a hot summer's night.

I've been retro fitting housings with LED rather then buying a new unit and saving quite a bit this way. Speaking of housings, if you remove yours, the lens or bezel may have a logo or manufacture name on the inside to help ID the thing. From the looks of it in your photo it sure does seem to be an old Perko. New ones range from $15 bucks in plastic to $30 - 35 in chrome (probably over brass)

Most have reasonably standardized cutouts, being small, medium and large ones available. Can you just replace the pig tail or socket? West Marine sells both the single and duel contact sockets for about $10.

Greg the tail light is Perko for sure. Can't tell on the combo. I too am retro fitting with LEDs as the bulbs fail.

Craig,

The picture is poor. The one on the bow is just like the one on the stearn except for the bi-color lense vs. the white lense. Thanks for confirming the brand.

I still like Charlie's idea and wish I had spent more time looking at Tihani (spelling?). I thought I had more pics but edith only took 3 or 4 and that was my misunderstanding.

Thanks gang :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have discovered the nav lights are Sea Dog, made in Taiwan. I am replacing them with Aqua Signal type 25s. There is about a 3/4 inch hole through the deck where the old lights were installed. Now I need to figure out how to deal with that and the new lights too. Fun, fun, fun. :lol:

Thanks for all the help and advice!! :D:D

First thing that pops into my mind is something with no silicone, as it will contaminate the surface if it ever needs to be painted at some future point. I am thining 3M 4200, not as aggresive as 5200 by any means. Easily cleaned up with adhesive remover (before it dries).

I have also used 'Goop' before with good success. Any of the Goop's (marine, shoe, household, plumbing, etc...) they are all the same, just packaged differently. I used to sell it when it first came out (that's how I know). ;)