Just got back

Russ Sylvester

Just returned from a 7 day cruise to the eastern Carribean where we went to Nassua Bahamas (never go there again), St. Thomas USVI (nice place), and St. Maarten (so-so).

The VERY best part of the entire cruise was that I got to go on the America's Cup regatta jaunt. Some guy bought three mid-1980's vintage 12 meter boats and took them to St. Maarten where he de-tuned them a little and takes folks out on them for a regatta.

We went out in the mid-afternoon on US-55 (Yes! It was Stars & Stripes!!) and sailed against True North (Canadian) and the wind had cranked up pretty good. Our skipper even said that the wind had been flat for about two weeks and not much fun but this race should be a white knuckler and he was right. We had the rail really buried on every upwind leg. Even though the rig was de-tuned we still were going faster than I have ever gone on a sailboat!

I got assigned intially as a main grinder but got switched to primary grinder after some guy wimped out mid-race. I gotta tell ya, that wore my ass out. I know now why they get those gorillas guys to grind those things.

So after three laps on a upwind-downwind course US-55 took the cup!!! Even though it was an adrenallin rush to even be on the boat I got an even bigger one when the skipper asked ME to take the helm on the trip back in!!! TALK ABOUT YOUR WHOLE FACE SHIT-EATIN GRINS!!!!! :D :shock: :D . I guess he heard me and another guy talk about sailing and my having built my first boat and now sailing a bigger one. I gotta tell you, I was weak in the knees when I got off the boat.

The rest of the trip totally and completely paled in comparison to that afternoon! If I can get my brother in law to scan the picture they took I'll post it here. I'm right in the middle of the boat as its heeled over and I've got this huge grin on my face. Couldn't help it, it just wouldn't go away.

Russ

OH Man! What an experience. I'd give my eye teeth to have the same experience as you just had Russ. I've seen a few 12 meters reasonably up close but not personal. They are a real treat to see in the water under sail and I think it would be a thrill to be working on for an outing.

Thanks for sharing, hope you have a lot of photos to remind you of your experience. :wink: