Farewell, Aslan!

Frank Hagan

It seems ages ago, but yet only yesterday, that I launched Aslan and started to learn to sail. A lot has changed since that time, both good and bad. Those of you who knew me at those times, and read The Question, knew how happy I was to have my father there that day:

dad.jpg

When the time came, I was happy to see my nightmare wasn't true, and the boat did indeed float. A quick push into the harbor, and Aslan floated free ...

push1.jpg

Heady days followed, with sailing in our local harbor and a lake nearby. I had never sailed before. Aslan taught me how to sail, how to read the wind and trim the sheets, and gave me that warm feeling you get with tiller in one hand, main sheet in the other, and a stiff breeze on your face.

wjib2.jpg

But alas, time marches on, and I grew restless with limitations. The ocean is a hard mistress here, with swells and currents and wind that pipes up quickly. Perhaps I was simply too gentle with Aslan, and she could have taken much more. But we decided to broaden our horizons and bought a bigger boat to venture offshore.

And Aslan sat quietly, aging in the sun. Not quite abandoned, but certainly not living up to her potential. She deserved more, and I knew it. But what is to become of a second-hand wooden boat, built from construction materials with a "workboat finish"?

Aslan found a new home today, with my brother, who doesn't know how to sail. I suspect he will learn as I did, holding tiller and sheet and feeling the wind on the sails mid-way between, deep in his heart.

Farewell, Aslan! For whatever days you have left, enjoy them! Farewell!

post-2-129497642226_thumb.jpg

I know your pain Frank. Watching your baby head off down the road behind someone else's truck has to rate up there with the hard things in life.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that the old saying about the best days in a boat owners life being the day they buy the boat and the day they sell it is a load of bull.

Russ

A sad and yet happy day I suppose. At least she is staying in the family. :) This way you will still be in touch somewhat.

I remember looking for a design to build. The first one I was drawn to was the Weekender. Then I found a link to your first site from the Stevenson's. That really solidified my desires to build a Weekender. I remember the Beta testing for this site. Seems like yestyerday and yet a lifetime ago.

Thanks Frank.

Thanks, guys ... it has been a good ride so far, and at least she isn't in a landfill!

You know I'm still thinking about the next boat. I think what I need to do is somehow get my wife to see Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket 24, which has been my dream pilot house cruiser design for a long time. I have the plans, and you're right Charlie ... I now have the room!

Every time I was involved with a new build it was with a little cloud of sadness as the vessel slipped down the ways.

You put your effort doing the best you could, never mind you are doing it for wages. Above all you did it because you love boats, well built boats.

One of my mentors, Alec Davidson, impressed on me early on in my apprenticeship that we who build and repair have a big responsibility to do the best we can, peoples lives depend on how well we did our job.

A boat is almost a living thing to me and, to be involved with one from loft to launch was/is something not to be forgotten.

Every time I was involved with a new build it was with a little cloud of sadness as the vessel slipped down the ways.

You put your effort doing the best you could' date=' never mind you are doing it for wages. Above all you did it because you love boats, well built boats.

One of my mentors, Alec Davidson, impressed on me early on in my apprenticeship that we who build and repair have a big responsibility to do the best we can, peoples lives depend on how well we did our job.

A boat is almost a living thing to me and, to be involved with one from loft to launch was/is something not to be forgotten.[/quote']

This says it for me. I have been avoiding this thread, as this is a subject that is fresh on my mind right now. :(

I know I always have mixed emotions when one leaves the shop. You try hard to put the best you can into them, and hope the new owners really try hard to care for them, and appreciate them.

And Tom has it right- it isn't just for the wages- I can make more money doing other woodwork- but can't have more satisfaction.

Hi Frank' date='

Your essay about your dad is very touching indeed. Like him, I am glad that you built your boat. You called your boat [i']Aslan[/i], and I assume you must be a reader of C. S. Lewis.

Your boat will have a good home, and you will have good memories.

I had read most of Lewis' non-fiction works, and also his science fiction trilogy, but hadn't read the Chronicles of Narnia. My daughters convinced me, first by suggesting "Dawn Treader" ... but I said the transom was too small for that big a name ... and then by getting me to read the children's books.

The movie version comes out this December, and they are saying they are staying true to the story. It will be interesting to see if they do!

I too get attached to most every project that I do personally. Hard not to when you have a lot of little challenges that you must face and overcome to keep on moving with it. Then once you near completion it is the realization that the building process has become a part of what makes you tick that is hard for me get past.

I never became attached to any of the fiberglass boats we built or emotionally tied to them. But with wood it was always a living thing to me.

I was greatly motivated by your Aslan project. It was one of the projects that brought me to the decision to build a Weekender.

I understand, and like Charlie and the others, the itch will always be there and there is only one way to satisfy it completely.

I too was particularly tied to my fathers involvement with my Weekender. It was a labor of love and all of his comments and even his limited ability to be physically involved was very much a huge part of what keeps me going to finish this particular boat. It is in his spirit and encouragement that I found the name for my Weekender, Spirit Wind. Just wish that somehow he could have lived long enough to sail with me. I know he would really have enjoyed that.

You could do a lot worse than Tom's Blue Jacket. I think that would be a very satisfying project and although a lot different concept and design, I think still a challenge with its own moaning chair moments to keep us humble.

Life goes on and the only real constant is change. That leads to growth and new experiences which keeps us young.

Thanks Frank for all the inspiration and the meeting place for such a great group of people. :D

Frank,

I too would be broken hearted. I plan to give mine to one of my kids some day so it can "stay in the family". Aslan served more than just a new experience for you. I (and probably many others) had one of the most satisfying building experiences directly because of the "Building of Aslan".

Thank you Frank!

:)

Frank, I'm glad that Aslan has a new home and will be used. As I'm sure you remember, it was you and Aslan that got me going. I wasn't even aware of the Stevenson boats prior to your help with the birdsmouth mast stuff. (I've still never made the thing I was going to make when I asked the question.)

I'm sure you'll get to sail Aslan again.

Who knows how many folks you encouraged to build Weekenders? Keep up the good work, Frank.

Dave

Egads! I didn't know I was responsible for infecting some of you guys with this boat building "sickness"! :roll: Hope I never meet your SOs in a dark alley!

And don't anyone tell my wife ... its bad enough she thinks I'm crazy, if she knew I was a 'carrier' she might have to do something about it! :cry:

My brother wrote and said he is planning to repair or replace the trailer, refinish the mast, make stainless mast hoops ... in other words, he may also have the bug now. I'll be teaching him to sail in his home waters, so I'll get to sail her again.

Egads! I didn't know I was responsible for infecting some of you guys with this boat building "sickness"

Kinda puffs up the old chest. doesn't it? :) He he

... in other words, he may also have the bug now.

Now you've infected the family!! :shock:

Speaking of 'infected', this site that you have created is wonderful for that as well! Besides giving most of us a safe harbor to ask questions, vent, explore, and feel safe, it defintely gives me (at least) the inspiration to continue down the path of building another boat.

Thanks Frank, this is a wonderful thread. :)