Core sound 20...weight

Guest Joe Nelson

Guest Joe Nelson

Just wondering what plywood was used in the construction of the Core Sound 20 that the stated weight was taken from?

I am using Aquatek and it is heavier than Okoume. Its basically Meranti BS6566. But I got all 15 sheets including crating and trucking to the terminal in my town for $500. Thats half the cost of Okoume.

joe_nelson22@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

The boat that we weighed was built with okume. It weighed 575# fully rigged including anchor and normal sailing gear. I can't remember off the top of my head if it was glassed or not. That really is an attractive price. I have had a few problems with BS6566 okume in the past with voids and delamination, but if you go over each sheet carefully before you build it in, it should be fine.

Guest Gordy Hill

The EdenSaw web page lists okume as 22 and 30 pounds per 6mm and 9mm sheet, and Aquatek as 35 and 47 pounds per 6mm and 9mm sheet.

With 11 sheets of 6mm and 4 sheets of 9mm it adds up to :

362 pounds for okoume and

573 pounds for the Aquatek.

Of course that doesn't take into account all the cut-offs and scrap, so the difference won't be as dramatic. Every thing else, epoxy and such would be the same.

At most, it looks like your boat could be 100 pounds heavier.

sirgordy@peoplepc.com