MN Messabout is next weekend

Bill Paxton

I hope you folks have an awesome time Bill. I will also hope you get the weather for it.

I had a conversation or two with the man who designed and built Arcebus.

What a fascinating project! Not for everyone mind you, but a perfect example of personal expression.

This fellow (can't remember his name) once built a Nutshell pram. He loved that boat so much that when he wanted a bigger boat....a much bigger boat....he scale the Nutshell up! To like 20 feet!

Here is a model of the project:

Model4sm.JPG

The name kills me...like an ARC...but also like a Bus! :lol: This man has a great sense of humour.

Glad to see he completed in time for the messabout. He also mentioned a trip down the Mississippi...?

His website show great design and construction detail.

http://arcebus.net/index.htm#So%20where%20am%20I%20with%20it%20at%20the%20moment?

I hope you all have a riot....I would love to join you.

http://www.source2sea.info

Not to hijack this thread, but here is a website of some college folks from one of our state universities making their summer down the Mississippi River from up in your area. Would love to make your meet if I could find someone to help me with the requirements of the trip of 21 hours.

Tim, I just returned from the Minnesota Messabout which was a great success despite rain, some heavy at times on Saturday. I expect Bill will give a full report but Arcebus was launched yesterday during a break in the rain.

She's an interesting vessel. Probably has as much interior space as the typical cabin cruiser twice her length. Initially she motored away from the dock and at a distance looked somewhat like a water taxi you might see in Venice. Later the masts went up and she sailed around for quite awhile.

We had quite a turnout and the rain really had little impact. Most of the boats were beached during the hardest part although several hardy sailors continued to sail right through.

After one last sprinkle the rain moved out and the evening was dry. I live 45 minutes away from Lake City. If our weather is close to theirs, they should have a beautiful day today for sailing.

It's a good thing I came home when I did! Sunday morning bright and early I got up and sponged about three gallons of water from the cockpit and cabin. That doesn't include what the cabin's carpet or lines had absorbed. I'm thinking I need to work on sealing around the cabin bulkhead better.

Anyway, Bill said that they got rained on maybe mid-morning on Sunday. He ended up stuffing a wet tent into his car when he left the campground.

It wouldn't have been much fun to have to strike camp with a wet Newfie/border collie mix, a 13 month old, and all their accompanying stuff.

We had a great time in spite of the rain so I call the weekend a success.

• 3 years later...
Guest iamkristen

Hi, I'm new to this site, but am wondering if any Messabouts have happened in Minnesota in the past couple of years.  My friend and I built a small rowboat a couple of years ago, and we're interested in holding an event in Minneapolis this summer that would bring together homemade boats and "personalized" boats (sort of like "art cars", if you've seen those).  We're looking around to see if there's anything else like this in the works, or if others would be interested in participating.

Thanks!  -Kristen