CS17 Hull 129 progress

Hi everyone. I haven't posted any pictures for a while so I here goes.

I've made good progress over the last couple of weeks but my free time is getting scarce. Here's a short description of what you'll see in the pictures:

Thwart: As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got a little carried away with this one. I started with the idea of a short bulkhead under the thwart to mount a compass. I ended up with a mini-locker that currently has a switch panel installed. I'm going to build a panel with two fold down doors (kind of like a glove box)

Forwad mast step: I got the mast step epoxied in and the mast tube fitted. The housing shown has pocket to collect water and route it through the hose and SS tubing back to the cockpit.

Deck Framing: The deck is framed in. I've got a plan to build a curved (to match the deck) deck hatch. I'll post pics of that in the coming weeks.

Oars: I ended up buying 7' oars. I know they're shorter than what Graham recommends but, that's all I could fit in the space I had allocated. I'll have an electric trolling motor as the fall back to the wind so the oars should be emergency only propulsion. I ended up with a bracket system to hold the oars that seems to work pretty well (at least in the basement where I've been sailing).

Hardware: Graham sent me a bunch of hardware - Thanks!

Tom

post-223-129497640802_thumb.jpg

post-223-129497640807_thumb.jpg

post-223-129497640812_thumb.jpg

post-223-129497640817_thumb.jpg

post-223-129497640821_thumb.jpg

post-223-129497640826_thumb.jpg

Beautiful work, Tom! My CS20 is almost as far along, but not nearly so pretty. I'm interested in your practice of finishing as you go along: it looks as though just about everything that isn't going to get glued is completely finished! I'm planning to have oars as my only alternative propulsion, so I'll be interested to hear how your short oars work. They certainly stow neatly! Detail question: are you going to mount your compass to the thwart? In thinking about this, I decided I'd need a separately-mounted compass on each side to enable accurate course steering on either tack. I finally decided to get a hand bearing compass and use it to sight points ashore -- far easier to steer by anyway.

Great pics Tom. Thanks for posting them. I think I'm going to try that shortened front deck like you did. Out of curiosity, why did you choose to do it that way?

I read your thread from last January regarding paint and was wondering: did you wind up going with the Rustoleum for the interior and enclosed areas?

I'm restarting my CS17 project after an 8 month hiatus (school) and am enjoying catching up on the forum. I'm about to frame the interior for the seats.