morningstar fighting top....

smoolie671

Just got finished today with the first fighting top for the fore mast. It took me 3 hours to measure cut and assemble one! Well I'm 50% there, just one more to do. I also got the windows all cut out and some pricey trim put around the bottom of the windows. Also I got the rudder worked out, not totaly finished but very close. oh yeah, I got it turned over too. Man I'm tired.........

post-531-129497640299_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640306_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640312_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640318_thumb.jpg

post-531-129497640323_thumb.jpg

post-531-12949764033_thumb.jpg

Are you going to put a ballast bulb on the keel like Ray did? That is a modified Weekender isn't it?

I know you've been at this project awhile and probably have all this worked out. But I had the chance to sail with three Weekenders this last summer. They all seemed a bit tender when the crew was moving about. Not as stable as my Vacationer. All that extra wood up high, made me want to say something. Not to be negative, or perhaps you've heard this before and I missed out.

Nice job, I must admit I like the design.

Mike

Very cool! It is really coming along nicely.

There's a square rigger schooner that is made up to be a pirate ship that makes appearances around here occasionally, usually with the "Pirate Day" festival at a local lake. It isn't much larger than a Weekender, and sails poorly because of the rig (he doesn't have a gaff sail on the mizzen mast like most of these boats had; he had to sacrifice it to make it look like a square rigger). Are you going to maintain the gaff rig on this one?

Yes, I'll have the gaff sail, but I'm toying with the idea of not having the lower boom. I have seen many pictures of models from that "era" That omited the lower gaff boom and just ran the rigging on some kind of traveler or a fixed point. I just hate the idea of my wife getting clocked with the boom as she moves around the boat. Is that a different name for that type of rig or is it still considered a gaff rig?

Smoolie, amazingly they call that a boomless or loose-footed gaff rig.

From what I understand it is difficult to get it to set properly for great performance but they will work.

Great looking project you've got there. I can't wait to see pictures of her on the water.

Usually they still have a boom, with the sail just "loose footed" and tied to the boom at the aft end, at the clew. There are other rigs though, like a lug rig, that might work. It looks more like a square sail, so it would fit the look of the boat.

There's quite a few pics of rigs at http://www.transitionrig.com/rigs.htm, including this lug rig:

lug1.gif

Not sure about any performance difference on these, but I know they have their adherents out there.

Too cool. I can not wait to see picture of the finished product. The only problem is that my kids caught me looking at the pictures (As my wife would say what are you doing looking at naked boats again) and now want me to build one like that daddy. Maybe a playset someday if they are not 18 by that point. Once again great boat get us updated.

I just want to say that the pic's of the mast are looking great and also that I knew it had to be Ray with the ballast. Having been reading the forum for almost a year (searching back until the pictures can not be displayed). That if someone is going to respond to a question on ballast or just look and see something higher that standard ( or just have good info to add) it would be Ray. I have also learn that he will post the most information backing up what he is saying to make sure that people stay safe and have fun. I think this is the best thing about this forum is that you get so much input that you can take or leave. I have found that leave is not such much a good thing. Okay PLEASE do not black list me for specking out as a newbe but I have been working on the boat (Maureen ( My mothers name)) since 10 am and it is now 12:00 am and have been working on the boat until 2:00 for the past couple weeks. Launch July 29th. :shocked!: Well going to bed and thanks for all the info. (going to read in the AM and :oops: )

Okay PLEASE do not black list me for specking out as a newbe

Yes, no speaking out allowed! NO soup for YOU!

I think we have a very polite crowd here. Kind of like going to church on Sunday morning. (Just going by what I see in the movies)

I think it should be manditory to speak your mind and say it like it is. Kind of like real life. Go for it Yoyo. Cut loose Dude.