report on our W.E.

shellback

Since we are well into our second season with our Weekender "Boom Boom" I felt I should report.

Firstly I would like to thank the forum for all the discussion, tips and advice. For me, it made building possible as the plans leave quite a bit to be desired. But I could always come back to the old blokes who had been down the track before me, thanks again.

I am critical of the Stevenson organisation for not, at least, correcting errors in plan measurements which they are still selling.

It was my second boat and took a bit over a year to build (weekends only - which was appropriate.) It all went smoothly but I thank the man who invented epoxy and the other bloke who came up with the battery operated screw driving drill.

The boat has stunning good looks and is a credit to the Stevensons. It is light, economic and possible to build for your average citizen, shallow draft, comes about and handles well and even has a kennell and no room for bags of "hanger ons'

I wonder about major modifications. Perhaps people who need those should seek another design. I am talking about altering hull dimensions and that type of thing. I did some mods which I regard as minor diversions from the plan but I would definitely do again as they have proved to be of benefit to me, they are as follows.

Make the lazarette, compartments behind the seat backs, the forward compartment and the drink box at the cabin entry all water tight for flotation.

Extend the mast base by 8 inches. Saves the boom bashing your loaf. Hence our name "Boom Boom'

Have reef points put into the mainsail. Makes all the difference on the gusty days.

Use jib sheets instead of a clubfoot. Saves the 9inch eyebolt through the bowsprit and gives the forrard hand more to do.

Use a tiller instead of the wheel business. It is comfortably only a two person boat and there is room for a tiller and it enables the lazarette to be sealed. I put a small hatch in the lazarette deck for access.

I weighted the rudder so that it can ride up in shallows.

Three lead blocks were inserted into holes cut into the skeg up near the mast. They each weighed about 16 lbs so about 50 lbs in total. The lead was free from tyre services, who were happy to get rid of their used tyre balance weights.

I melted them down in batches with a couple of blow torches and poured into a mould I knocked up from scrap pine. The blocks were epoxied into position.

I poured the blocks in layers as I could not keep a lot a lot of metal molten at one time.

The layers stuck together well

Wow. Five posts in all and you are done. Cool.

Nice report too. I like the embedded ballast idea.

Too bad about the knockdown, sounds like it turned out OK in the end though. Do you think that perhaps raising the center of effort that 8" might have had something to do with it? My wife has all but pleaded with me to do the same thing, but I choose not to, take the chances and keep the CE a little lower. I have been smacked a few times. (Can you tell.... :wink: )

Great name BTW. :lol:

I had always wondered what the species you guys call Oregon was...so basically Douglas Fir...but the I guess the southern hemisphere version eh?

Good advice for the rub rails too. I wish the guy that originally built my boat did it that way. Any kind of exterior rail, in my mind, should be considered sacrificial or at least prone to damage, and measures should be taken to make them removable. Putting them over the glass is also very good advice.

I intend to remove all my rails and do a proper set some day. I envision splitting them off and away, then and grinding the screws off. I am really hoping he didn't glue them on...... :shock:

Have you got any pix yet? Launch day or sailing?

too find that the motor really gets in the way of the sheets when gybing.

Perhaps a bridge deck with a recessed traveler system with mid boom sheeting, though that introduces a new measure of headaches when beating hard on the wind and someone wants to enter the cabin.

Boy Ray....now you got me thinking. It sure would be nice to get those aft main sheet lines out of the way...and I already use a bridgedeck system. I wonder how much mechanical advantage you would have to come up with to go mid boom?I too have had the sheets foul on the outboard...many times, though it has never caused an 'incident'.

Just looked in my Harken book and something around like what you are describing would be this for about $100 HAR060_F.jpg

plus thisHAR053_F.jpg

for about $40 plus line etc would be a pricey little sustem. But it might be something worth thinking about. Once I am back on the water, it is always easier to picture the use of a system like this.

Speaking of Harken stuff.....I used this cool little swivel cleat thing for my main and now have mounted two more for jib sheets. Havn't used them yet, but the reason I got them was because last season whilst sailing solo in big wind, I found I had to luff up to get across the cockpit to get enough purchase on the sheet and to draw it aft to harden up. Man, in little boats like ours...if you don't luff up a tad and move across the boat like that, things happen really fast! (Even with light sticks and ballast)...So I thought with these units I can stay hiking out on the weather rail and still trim headsail. Cool huh?

HAR241_F.jpg

Oh and I would like to mention that this Mauri Pro Sailing outfit (where I swiped these images) in Texas has very good prices (best I have found) and great service.