CS17 #110 Decking framed, seats ready to go on.

Scott Dufour

Haven't gotten to work on the boat much the last few months, plus it's in a natural slow down stage. Seat hatch frames are in, and deck is fitted. I decided to go with a very long hatch in the aft bulkhead to accomodate an easy storage of an electric motor. I'll just hang a bracket off the stern for it. (I toyed with more complicated solutions to the motor issue, but I've decided to keep it simpler for now.)

I put the seats on today, fitted the bow eye backer, and began the blanks for the false floor in the forward storage compartment. It's nice to be on vacation.

post-287-129497640254_thumb.jpg

post-287-129497640258_thumb.jpg

Looks great Scott. I'll be framing the forward deck structure in the next week or so. I've thought through the deck hatch but haven't yet started to sketch it. If you have any details on how you're going to attack yours, I'd love to hear about it.

I got the thwart and mizzen mast step built last weekend. I got a little carried away. I wanted a small bulkhead aft of the mizzen to mount a compass. It ended up being mini locker (glove box?) that will house a radio and also a small switch panel (deck lights, aux power, etc.). The nice thing about calling this a hobby is it doesn't have to make sense :wink: . I'll get some picture this weekend.

Tom

Scott,

Your boat is beautiful. I am curious about what you are going to do with the aft deck. What is the space between the top of the bulkhead and the top deckbeam and framing for? Your forward deck framing looks similar to mine. I plan on making a plywood frame to go inside the forward hatch frame to provide a lip for the hatch to go over. With weather stripping at the top of the frame and the bottom of the hatch cover. Should keep the forward compartment fairly dry.

Thanks for the positive comments, gentlemen.

The hatch framing on the forward section is strictly according to plans: I'll put some plywood coaming in the opening to raise a lip above the deck, and use the simple hatch door over the top of that. I think the way Graham's got that looks elegant.

I've moved the hatch opening off the aft deck and into the side of the aft bulkhead. It's going to be a large opening to accomodate easy storage of the electric motor. I'll use a piano hinge to keep that long bugger from twisting out of shape too much. Here's a better picture of the framing for that hatch.

Oh, and the conduit you see in the lockers are to run the wiring from the batteries to the motor in the stern. I'm going to put a battery in each side locker, just forward of the hatch openings. Nice low weight balanced one on each side of the boat.

If you put a stringer around the outside edge of the hatch door and a couple of braces spaced through the length you should be able to get a tight fit. I am making access to the rear storage through the bulkhead also. I am going to get a comercial hatch to go there. I figure I can just put one end of the trolling motor in the hatch and then go in diagonally until it fits. :)

Kidd,

Do I have it right that the propellers on most electric trolling motors provide low velocity thrusts at the expense of top speed (like 1st gear in a car)? All propulsion I've ever done in a boat came from either my own muscle or the wind - I'm new to this 'lectricity thing,.

That is the gist of what I get from the posts I have read. I have had a little experience with trolling motors and regardless of the boat they have been on they only go so fast. I think that a prop with a little more pitch would give you a little more speed and power as long as the motor had enough power for your boat with the new prop. There is an electric outboard available which has more of an outboard motor performance. There is a link to it somewhere in this forum. I am sure someone knows where it is. It requires a lot of weight in batteries and is not cheap. You can get a gasoline motor for the same or less. I think for what I am going to use it for, a trolling motor with a little better prop will do just fine. All I want it for is to get on and off the trailer and perhaps around a pier. If becalmed I can use oars.