Spindrift 10 Nesting Dinghy

Guest Mike Spiller

Guest Mike Spiller

I built the Spindrift 10 nesting model, but have not cut it in half yet. The fact is, I've been beating everything except the C-Larks and Lasers in our local club races, and I'm afraid cutting it will put me back with the also-rans. Is there in fact a big performance loss if I go ahead and perform the operation?

michaelspiller@hotmail.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

We'll have to wait for Graham to comment on the performance after making the cut, but I'm interested in the performance you've been getting. How do you have her rigged?

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Mike Spiller

I have her rigged pretty much exactly to the plans. I took extra care in shaping the foils, and sail her like a laser (per Graham's suggestion). I've raced her all the way from a breath of wind to 20 knots, and with the proper sail shape, she always handles great.

michaelspiller@hotmail.com

Guest Graham Byrnes

I'm glad you're having so much fun, mine has given me more pleasure than any other boat that I have owned. I don't suspect that cutting it will slow you down much. The boat will twist more when you're hiking out. After cutting the boat in two you will have to round over the outside seam to be able to tape it, this will give you a double radius when assembled which will cause some parasitic drag. You could insert some thin sheet like Formica between the half hulls as a mold and fill that radius with thickened epoxy (don't forget to wax it first). You can taper the edge of the glass tape and fair it out over about 6" with your favourite sanding thickener.

When I cut a nesting model in two, I drill all the bolt holes before cutting so that I will get perfect alignment when assembled. It is also a good idea to put in the bolts behind your sawcut as you are cutting so that you won't tear any wood fibers during the last couple of saw strokes as the two halves want to seperate.

Good luck.