The GREAT RACE?

Dale Niemann

I made plans to participate in the Great Race last year. Contacted the race organizers, arranged my business and vacation schedule, made travel arrangements etc. I found out through the courtesy of a forum member here that the race date was moved up on the calendar in the final approach to the scheduled date. By the time I knew of the changed date there was no way I could possibly reconfigure my schedule to participate.

A followup conversation with the race organizer confirmed that consideration for people who might be coming from out of town was not part of the thought process for the rescheduling. I got the impression this race is thought of as an event for the enjoyment of select locals. So be warned.

I will not be making plans to participate in this event again. However, the race concept is very appealing. If a few people on this forum would like to get together for our own Greater Race or even a Pretty Good Cruise I would be very interested. The sailing grounds between Oriental and Beaufort, including Core Sound are perfect for the Core Sound boats. (A coincidence I suppose :wink: )

If I get that special privilage to enter my new rig, I will need some EXPERIENCED folks to help me. So I turn no furreners away. :twisted: Just kidding!!!!! Everyone is always welcomed on board even my paddle canoes.

I can concur with Brent. They caught me out with the date change too. In fact I found out from Brent after it was too late. After Roger left the museum the Great Race was watered down to an up Core Sound and back to Beaufort.

I am going to the Wooden Boat show there on May 7 and I will find out what is going to happen this year (subject to change Of course) with the Great Race.

I am hoping to get up to Maine this summer with my CS17 so the race is not on my to do list this year.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Brent, I would be interested in some event also.

Graham, please let us know what happens when you see them on May 7th.

I will be going to Cedar Key then. It is the really big small boat thing around Florida. Everyone is welcome to come on down to it.

Hey guys,

You are making me feel a bit silly. Since arthritis got into my fingers, my timing is off a"teh". I,ve been in teh habit of reviewing my posts to make corrections so as not to look too much like a gramerr schul drop out.

Are you trying to show that now it is acceptable to spell any way we choose or any way it happens to come out ? :roll: