Cruising Boat

Howard

In going back over the threads of this discussion, with all the sailboats mentioned. There seems to be one missing (amongest others I'm sure but,) that fits vary nice'ly in between the Flicka and Frances. That of being a full keel, shoal draft Bayfield 25. Also, only available in "the used" department. A vary well-founded sailboat.

Then ofcourse, there's the Voyager 26...................... :wink:

One note, there is a down side to the bilge keeler, that I didn't see mentioned. (Not that I wouldn't wont one) That is, if one grounds in a shoal, there's no "tipping" to float off.

Just my 1/2 cents.

In going back over the threads of this discussion' date=' with all the sailboats mentioned. There seems to be one missing (amongest others I'm sure but,) that fits vary nice'ly in between the Flicka and Frances. That of being a full keel, shoal draft Bayfield 25. Also, only available in "the used" department. A vary well-founded sailboat.

Then ofcourse, there's the Voyager 26...................... :wink:

One note, there is a down side to the bilge keeler, that I didn't see mentioned. (Not that I wouldn't wont one) That is, if one grounds in a shoal, there's no "tipping" to float off.

Just my 1/2 cents.[/quote']

Yep, the advantage is the disadvantage. You have the advantage of staying level and true when caught on the mud flats when the tide goes out, but you do have to wait until the tide comes in to float you off. That kind of advantage/disadvantage is so common with boats. If only they were like women, easy to understand! :wink:

• 3 years later...

Howard:

From my experience (18 years as a professional captain and another 15 years doing repair and restoration work on boats) and from a lot of thought recently on boats I might either buy or build since I'm now retired and looking to do some extensive cruising myself, I think that "standing headroom" is way over rated except in one place...the galley. I don't want to do my cooking sitting down. With that one exception everywhere else in the boat you're either going to be sitting or laying down and standing headroom is wasted space. I owned a small sailboat, a Kaiser 26, that I lived on for nearly six years and it had 6' headroom in the "main cabin" such as it was. Actually that was an area only about 9 feet long and standing on the tiny cabin sole I could touch the cabin sides without stretching my arms full length. If you place the galley at the aft end of the cabin you might be able to build some kind of hard dodger or dog house that would allow you to stand up there. For the rest of the boat I wouldn't worry about it. Trying to get standing headroom throughout will destroy the esthetics of the design.

I think it was Hershoff who said "If you want to stand up in a boat go out into the cockpit."

Old Salt:

Kaiser 26? About 5 years ago, my brother in law showed me a Kaiser 26 tied up to the docks at the Norfolk Navy Base marina. The guy who owned it had been transferred elsewhere and rumor was it could be had for free. Neglected in appearance, but not a total wreck by a long shot. Still kick myself for not having jumped on that one.

Thanks for the information and advice. I'm coming around to your way of thinking. My current 17 footer has about 40 inches of "head room", and aside from lacking a decent place to sit and read, I've nearly convinced myself it could take me places I'd like to go. Compared to that, 5' of headroom, some storage space and an airhead toilet would seem extravagant.

Howard