You never loose the bug...

Bruce S Kershaw

When they were cleaning out the material racks at work, I spotted 4 sheets of really nice, 1/4 inch, okume, marine ply.

"I'll help you load it in your truck." seemed like a good price.

I've thought for a long time that it would be fun to build a matched pair of sailing dinghys to take to the beach, and race against each other.

Performance wouldn't be as much as issue, (because they'd be evenly matched) as would stability, (for my young nephews) ease of construction, (so they could help) and ease of storage.

I think a pram is what I'm talking about... Maybe a Glen-L, 8-Ball???

Bruce, have a look at this, a two sheet skiff called "Summer Breeze". It won the Duckworth's contest in 2001, though I can't find anything about it there.

It's a nifty use of materials. The designer built it, including sails, in less than two weeks. TWO WEEKS! You can do it.

My daughter, one of her friends and I are going to build a pair of them when I visit her this summer in Ft Lauderdale.

The finished boat is 11 1/2 feet long, 50 inches wide with 16 inch sides. When fully loaded with two adults and gear (up to 500 lbs) her transom and stem barely touch the water. This translates into very little wake and consequent easy rowing or sailing. She can take a small motor as is, but if the primary desire is a motor skiff the transom can be widened, made more vertical, reinforced and the rocker decreased. (See variations.) Scott Widmier uses a 4 horse outboard on his Summer Breeze.

http://www.simplicityboats.com/summerbreezetemp.html

SBtrim.jpg