First sawing leson ever.

Mark Gudschinsky

We measured and thought and measured and wrote, measured and thought, measured and wrote. finally lofted the bottom of Skipper and got the deck ready to loft.

Then I got my first sawing lesson ever! The kind of saw was a saber saw (the brand was Skill.) I cut squiggly lines, the top of a circle, the side of a rectangle and a triangle.

Tomorrow I am going to take my next lesson. Then I get to cut out the bottom and the deck. :D 8)

Congratulations, Laura! :) Tool usage is a big step and important lessons for life. 8)

Ben's first lesson with a hand saw: After repeated warnings and cautions about being careful with the blade while using his hand for the guide to start, and many "Yeah Dad, I know", he made 3 strokes and cut his thumb. He was not hurt seriously, just a scratch, but he sure was embarresed :oops: and his Dad allowed him no slack with laughing at him. Ben was laughing too. :lol: He now knows how to use a hand saw, along with several other hand tools. Sam managed to do better when he was first learning, but he did smack his finger with a hammer.

I only let the boys use power drills and power screw drivers on their own, and that was after they proved proficient with the hand versions by making hundreds of drillings and placing a thousand or so screws in new work or repairing things. They learned how to make drill bits from nails too. :)

Planes and chisels are next on the list. :)

Way to go Laura :D

My wife''s name is Laura also and she is quite a woodworker on top of being a fine artist. She worked in the furniture repair shop with me for 7 years and she can run any tool in the shop.

She'll be tickled to see that someone else named Laura is learning about tools.

Just don't ever NOT be careful with them and you'll have LOTS of fun in your life. You have a KEWL dad for helping you learn.

Before using any power tools let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

-Norm Abram

Laura, I make squiggley lines with my sabre saw too! I had the same type you guys have, and I found it moves around a lot due to vibration.

Its great that your dad is teaching you. Its the way I learned to work with tools, and probably most of the people here too. Its always easier when someone shows you how.

One thing you guys are learning is that these projects take a lot of thinking and planning, and that part of the project is just as important as the cutting and gluing.

Laura, here's an idea for you. When I was your age or a bit younger, my mother began a custom of giving me a hand tool of my own for my birthday every year. I continued this tradition with our kids. Perhaps you won't be surprised to learn that the boys were pretty careless with their tools and mostly lost them but our daughter, who is now 15, can actually find hers. We gave her a small cordless drill when she turned 14 and I borrow it all the time which is OK as long as I ask. 8)