Model building

J.Dillon

Does any body here build ship models ?

Recently finished one and would like to see others work.

Also interested in doing a model or painting of Shaclelton's boat the "james Caird" . Need info on ths boat . This thread is helpful http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=003572 but would like another source of info.

Thanks

JD

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Timely as I have been sick for a few days (again) and completing a wooden model I started over 4 years ago!

Got the sails sewn and rigged in the last few days. since I am feeling better, I will try to find some material today to make a proper display case.

I will post pictures later but it is going to take a case 34x9x25h.

Nice model. I like your sea rendering. I've never been much good at that.

I build (used to build) models. I haven't built much for quite a while. Been too busy playing with my weekender to find time for the miniture stuff. I have posted pictures of some of my models. I've got a number I'd like to finish, but just so little time.

JD

I got a model for Christmas from my folks - I've just started fairing the bulkheads (I do this at night when it's too late to work on the weekender). My father has started the rigging on his Endevour, it has taken him 18+ years to get to this stage :shock: I'm hoping to have mine finished sometime AFTER the weekender is finished :lol:

Andrew

Good to see other modelers out there. A good activity during the off season months ......... that is if you're not building a full sized boat.

Phil, I can see by the models you built you're more advanced than I am. They look great. The sea rendering wasn't too hard . I just used some modelers clay a kind of plaster. It kicked off in about 10 minutes( not 2 part stuff). I kind of roughed shaped it around the tinfoiled hull . When full dry you can remove the model and sculpture the sea then paint it.

Andrew, I might be takeing that long to complete the Rattlesnake model I startd 5 years ago. I'm stuck on the paint job but the hull and fittings are done.

Maybe this thread will smoke out some more modelers.

JD

Awsome work you guys!

Yes indeed! I don't know if I want to post a picture of mine after seeing these. :shock:

I have the display case completed; well.... enough to take it to the glass shop to verify that is will hold the glass. :? Hopefully I will have it completed by tommorrow, after the finish has had a chance to set.

I love to see that type of modeling and really respect the individuals that can accomplish it. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them although I love building models and doing takeoffs of historical plans.

I loved making half hulls of sailboats and building scale model hulls for tank studies. I have a good sized Gorrilla type shelf unit in my storage unit crammed full of kits that I've wanted to build "someday" along with drawings/plans and a lot of materials to build from scratch. And a few that are partially assembled. A 12' wingspan flying boat for RC and a 4' RC scale 12 meter that is ready for rigging and radio gear.

Have to see if I can talk my son out of my radio gear though, most of it seems to be used for some of his off-road, rock crawling model trucks and Jeeps. :roll:

I actually stumbled upon the same model on the internet the other day; I can't find it now. It is a scale replica of an early Italian tuna trawler. I'll check again tomorrow and see if I can find it again.

I know what you mean about the photo, I couldn't get a flash that didn't wash it all out. I will try again in daylight.

Oops, just found it.

MarieJeanneT.jpg They have changed the rigging slightly and renamed the boat, but it is definitely the same vessel. Same Italian mgf as well.

Their site. http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Latina/LatinaMenu.htm

• 3 weeks later...