Seat Lockers

Tom Williams

Hi Everyone. Happy New Year!

I made some good progress on my CS17 Hull# 129 (I'm getting close to a selecting a final name) I made the seat locker drains and the centerboard and trunk. I focus this post on the locker drains.

I decided to do the drains in wood do to my experience (just a hobby). I made the sides of the drains from scrap 1/4 plywood (okume) and the gutter for some 1/2 inch cherry I had laying around. The back of the drain has two gutters that intersect at the center and are sloped at 3 degrees fore and aft. The sides are sloped at 8 degrees and interface with the seat front with slots. The angles were selected to ensue access to the seat lockers. I think they look appropriate.

I made the back and side pieces and then mitered the corners together. With a little playing around I ended up with pieces that fit together very well. I lined the seat frames with some plastic sheet and epoxied the miter joints right in the boat. I added some fillets and glass tape to the inside corners and ended up with some strong assemblies.

With the drains in place and the seat fronts on, I transfered the centerline of the gutter to the front (I found a "Sharpie pen has a 1/2" dia OD which matched the dia. I had routed in the gutters). I pulled of the seat fronts and drilled through and then extended the hole to a slot.

I post some shots of my centerboard in a couple of days.

Tom

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• 1 month later...

I've got the drains glued to the seat frames and the seat fronts. They're very sturdy! I haven't christened them with water yet but I'm sure they'll work fine. They'll be outside before we know it!

I'll think I've drilled my last hole through the hull and I'm ready to flip and finish the bottom. I've got a couple friends coming over Friday after work for pizza, beer and a little help. I'm planning to glass the bottom w/ 6 oz cloth. The inside of the CB trunk was fairly easy ... I hope I can say the same for the hull! I'll post some pictures when I get them!

Tom