Wiring Help (motorboat, that is)

Bruce S Kershaw

I'm the third person I know who's purchased a Carolina Skiff. We're all happy with our boats, accept their limitations, and appreciate their advantages.

Another thing we agree on is that, had we to do it all over again, we would have each told the dealers, (three different ones) "Throw the parts in the boat. I'll rig it myself." :x

This time of year the weather is great for sailing, but not so good for a flat bottomed skiff. So, I'm thinking this is a good time to straighten out the fuse-less rats nest of wiring that 'Marina Mike's' provided me with.

Anyone know of any websites on the subject?

I'm thinking it would be nice if the lights in the gauges worked, and the gauges didn't go dead when I turn on the running lights. :roll:

This is one of the projects that I like to do. I see all kinds of problems in the pix's from the link.

58453979.jpg

Besides the obvious corrosion. The wiring is shot. This is due to using automotive connectors that are open to the elements.

58453710.jpg

Open ended connectors will get corosion in them. Heat shrink needs to have the glue in it.

58622492.jpg

NO wire nuts! They are very subseptiable [sp?] to vibration and belong in a house, not a boat or car.

Oh yes I'm anial about this.

The top pic was a marine surveyor example of one done to your proper ABYC standards...standards designed for large yachts, not small boats.

You also seem to have missed the treated heatshrink and dielectric grease I use rather liberally. I was careful to mention these techniques aren't considered conventional and precisely why I use them ILO of the "school solution". Readers can make their own choices.

When done properly, I find my unconventional but safe methods simply last longer in tight spots that can't be easily maintained. My family built work boats this way successfully for 60 or so years before I came along...these are hardly entirely my own ideas. :wink: