metal strip on CS20 keel?

Tim TITAN

anybody ever put a metal(brass or stainless) half oval strip on the bottom of their CS20 keel to protect the boat from wear and tear(beachings, rocks, etc..)??? I think the plans recommend it, but I have to dig them out and see. If yes, how far forward does the strip extend, and what material works best for that, stainless or brass? solid back half oval or hollow back half oval?

For it to protect the front of the boat from impacts and abrasion, especially when beaching, I would think it would have to extend all the way to the front of the boat, to maybe within about 18 inches of the bow eye. Is it a waste of time/money? I'm going to be beaching a lot, and I am just thinking it might help my paint from rubbing off the bottom after a while.

I'm thinking the strip might not look very good either, so I would rather not do it. Since my hull is going to be white, maybe its best just to ditch the metal strip idea, and fair in a 1 or 2 inch wide layer of cabosil/epoxy all along the bottom of the keel and part way up the stem for extra stength, and also if the paint gets scratched there or worn off, it will just show the white cabosil below it and it wont look so bad until I get a chance to touch it up with paint??? good idea?? any thoughts?

I have used metal chafing strips on most of my boats and will continue to do so. You can't always control your landing when the elements are trying to mess with you. I used to run my BRS onto the concrete ramp all of the time and when I sold her after 12 years the unglassed bottom was still in good condition. I also had a 3' strip under each chine so that the boat could flop over to the chine and still have the bottom protected.

I used to use half oval brass but it has gotten expensive so I am going to use stainless hollowback on my CS17. Bill made the bow very sharp so I am going to just run it along along the keel and the keel taper but not around the bow. If I was starting from scratch I would make the bow to fit the hollowback and run it around to the bow eye. I am using 3/4" and I will put it under the chine amidships also.

I used a flat backed oval shape of aluminium on one small sailing boat I built, and the designer of that particular craft specifies it on all his designs. The edges of it I faired onto the stem and keel, after glueing and screwing it on. It looked fine, and stopped a lot of dings in the wood.

I even have one on my current project, a 24' trailer sailor which is also from the same designer.

I feel it is an important piece of protection, and I would include something of that nature on all my sail boats.

Regards,

Chris.

We used this bronze strip and ran it from front to back...

Also put a 300mm long timber strip on the hull where it touches down as the tide leaves it. No strip on that though.

We also used the tip to put a 6mm braided rope along the leading edges of both rudder and c/board.

Rob

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]