(OT) Computer help...

Bruce S Kershaw

My mother (retired) is looking to purchase her first, entry-level computer.

(I think she got hooked on spider solitaire while visiting her sister.)

She wants the basics. Internet/e-mail, word processor, copy/ printing capabilities, etc.

Several people insist she needs a Dell system. We've searched the websites, and since I barely manage to bumble along on this old E-machine, I lean towards the more beginner friendly sites like Gateway's. Are they still a contender???

I think we need an "everything's-in-the-box" system that we can pick out at a local retailer, as apposed to trying to put something together, and ordering online.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bruce

I've had good luck with Dell, and not-so-good luck with Compaq, HP and Gateway in my family (interestingly, the recent edition of Consumer's Reports echo'd that sentiment when you look at the "reliability" charts). But to be honest, I have friends who swear by Compaq and HP, and wouldn't touch Dell with a 10' pole. So I kind of view it as a "Ford vs. Chevy" kind of thing.

Most of the major vendors include a word processing suite, either MS Word or WordPerfect. If you get a system with Windows XP Home (highly recommended), she'll have everything she needs. Costco and Sam's Club have some pretty good priced systems too, so if you want a local retailer, check them out along with Staples, OfficeMax and the "regular" places.

When all other factors are the same, and a system has more RAM, go for more RAM. 512MB is ideal, 256 just OK, and 128MB shouldn't be allowed to be in a system with Windows XP.

Bruce,

I have the same opinion of compaq, HP and Gateway as Frank. I've had good luck with Dell. The other day a friend and IS support guy passed along this link for pc's:

www.gotapex.com/

Seems to have incredible deals on Dell equipment. I planned on using it for my next purchase.

--John M.

Fairbanks, AK.

We buy a LOT of computer equipment at work. Like in the $500k range per year for my three section group. We get the best prices and have the best return on the $$ with Dell. We, over the years, have used all the other brands and find we can get a longer life and upgrade easier wit the Dell stuff. Granted we are buying on the Federal contract but we are using, really using these machines for data analysis, code generation, and other test related tasks, as well a the typical Word processing and presentation preparation. The Dell units with the XP pro software is a hard combination to beat. Compact and HP a pain in the butt when it comes time to upgrade. Gateway has become too proud of their stuff. The only bad part of Dell is most of them come from China now.

Mom called to say she had Dell e-mail me specs on a package.

It looked good to me... She just called again to say she placed the order.

I never had kids, but this must be what it's like for parents on Christmas morning. I'm all excited with and for her. (and I didn't even have to pay for anything) :lol:

Thanks again :)

...128MB shouldn't be allowed to be in a system with Windows XP.

Hmmm... That's what my 3 year old e-machine has. Maybe that's why some programs take forever to load?

Thanks all, for the input.

You'd have to look to see that you have two memory slots, and they don't each have a 64mb simm in them, but adding another 128mb would make a world of difference.

I don't buy anything that has properitory software. Most of the above mentioned name brands mentioned have it.

That's all beside my point and the point I want to make is DO Not get caught up in the Free AOL that you payed for when buying one of thosed computers.

AOL is Crap and teach's people the wrong way to use a computer.

Get her a dial up service and install Netscape on the computer for her. I use a Eudura email software. It's simple and easy. AOL makes everything so hard. I know people that have had AOL for over 2yrs and still can't open a pix sent to them by email.

I don't buy anything that has properitory software. Most of the above mentioned name brands mentioned have it.

That's all beside my point and the point I want to make is DO Not get caught up in the Free AOL that you payed for when buying one of thosed computers.

AOL is Crap and teach's people the wrong way to use a computer.

Get her a dial up service and install Netscape on the computer for her. I use a Eudura email software. It's simple and easy. AOL makes everything so hard. I know people that have had AOL for over 2yrs and still can't open a pix sent to them by email.

I agree with you, at least "mostly agree." Some of the free bundled programs are fine for home use, like Word, Word Perfect, some of the graphics programs, etc. They do bundle a ton of "free" offers from AOL, Earthlink, etc. on new computers. I just delete them all and start fresh. People who are "liberated" from AOL can't believe how much is really out there on the 'Net, without a ton of ads popping up everywhere.

My standard browser is Internet Explorer, since that is what 96% of the visitors to the site use (and I have to make sure the pages are readable by the major browsers). But I have quit suggesting Netscape ... when AOL bought it they started to muck it up, and now they have stopped development on it entirely.

However, I am very pleased with Mozilla's Firefox browser, an open source project that has an integrated pop-up blocker, and doesn't allow the Active-X components that allow some of the nefarious programs out there to infect your computer. Its available at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

While we're on the subject of essential computer tools, a good virus checker is essential, and I prefer the commercial ones from either McAfee or Symantec (Norton), but ONLY if you just install the virus checker. Ignore the rest of their "security" stuff. Instead, just use their virus checker and install a firewall separately ... I like ZoneAlarms standard (free) firewall available at http://www.zonelabs.com (and again, I ignore the "bundled" products they have). The final leg in the three legged stool of computer security is to protect yourself from browser hijacks, spyware and tracking cookies, so download and install the free version of Ad-Aware from http://lavasoft.element5.com/software/adaware/ and run it at least weekly (remember to check for updates first!)

For a light-use, home PC, it's hard to beat the deals you see at Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. in the Sunday paper. Those packages will bundle everything that a new user would want. The good thing is, they're extremely cheap. Those are "loss leaders" being sold for less than cost. They expect to make that money back by selling you accessories (with good markups) to go along with it. After you've bought some toner, photo-quality paper, and a cable or two, that store's well into the black on the deal.

They also make good money by brokering your internet connection. I'd recommend buying their "hot deal" of the week and skip on all the accessories sitting conveniently next to it. Then, I'd follow the advice above. Just delete these offers and shop around for better/cheaper deals on internet, virus, etc.

Frank I use Norton System Works and Firewall. I think it;s simple and easy.

I use Internet Exployer only to come to this forum. I get red X's no matter what I use on your icons all the time.

That's a known problem with the Norton Internet Security suite. It doesn't like references to URLs, which all the graphics do (they have the full URL listed instead of relative URLs). There is a way to correct it that has worked for most people (there's a thread in the "Forum Q & A" forum about "Graphics as red x's" that covers how some have coped with it.)