You call that a character boat? THIS is a character boat!

MisterMoon

It started life as a donated 28' pontoon boat, given to the Boy Scouts. A group of scout leaders spent few hundred dollars on the galleon conversion. It's reported to to be 53' LOA, roofing felt over aluminum pontoon boat construction.

There was a big Boy Scout Camporee on our lake last weekend. One of the projects of the scouts at the camp was to build marshmallow cannon. When everyone was on the beach getting ready to demostrate their cannon, this black ship appeared from around the point and commenced attacking by firing it's own marshmallow cannon. Aboard were as fearsome a bunch of bloodthirsty pirates as ever roamed the open ocean. Many "arrrrrrs" were heard above the din of the great guns.

According to a couple of people I know who were there, the boys went nuts! I don't know for a fact that the scouts repelled the terrible invaders, but I don't think anyone really cared all that much about the outcome of the battle. A good time was apparently had by all.

Saucy Wench is for sale on ebay, with proceeds to be donated to the Scouts.

Hats off to the crew that gave a bunch of scouts a very memorable weekend.

Looks like an enjoyable project to have at a camp. I like the parrot figurehead. It looks like they spent a long time studding the rigging lines of a fully rigged ship. If they really wanted to have fun they could make a Revenue Cutter or the something to go hunt it down.

Since it's made of roofing felt I wonder how long it will actually last. I remember someone telling me a story of how he would build a boat every year out of maybe plywood and tar or something like that and used it until it fell apart (I think this was in Florida). If they want it to last longer they should put shingles on the roofing paper :roll: .

• 5 years later...