sander?

Tim TITAN

what kind of sander do you guys find works best for fairing in the hull? I've got a 5 inch random orbital. no air power right now though or I'd probably hook up the D/A. :cry: would an 8 inch electric polisher/sander with a foam pad do a nice job? which works best? hard pad or soft pad? or should I just stick with my 5 inch random orbit? I imagine towards the end I'll have to do some hand sanding with a featherboard or something. Just trying to make my life a little easier. This 5 inch random orbit sander just doesnt seem to be enough for the large hull surface.

5 inch ROS is all I use, other than a feathering board. I find it does a great job.

I personally think the 6 inch discs cost more than the value you receive from moving up. I use BOXES of discs every year and in the shop , year in and year out, the 5 inch has had more bang for the buck for us.

One thing I should mention. With the exception of a VERY light once over on the first coat of epoxy, and on the scarf joints themselves I don't TOUCH the hull with any sander until the glass is on and at least two fill coats have been applied. THEN I sand, fill again as needed and put on a final coat of epoxy. Then comes the fine sanding for fairness.

sounds good. I'll stick with the random orbital for now. and yes I already glassed the hull and gave it a nice fill coat. now its just sanding, sanding, and more sanding. then the fun part of painting and seeing how she looks all dressed up nice :D thanks again for your help

I think there was a misunderstanding. I wouldnt use the RO for the finishing. Just for roughing out. I was figuring on having to hand sand and use a featherboard for the finish. Just wondering what worked best for getting everything down and CLOSE enough to start hand sanding. Doing the whole thing by hand would just take forever.

Tim the real trick to this is to get the substructure of a ply boat fair before. the sides go on and the be sure you do a good job with the panel joiners. If you use black glass you can see a ripple 6 miles away. I used a 5"RO the first time and it came out quite well. The repairs I have done look like hell using the same methods. The difference? The big sheets of ply formed a fair curve naturally. The fill and rework were short wavy sections that needed a long board to get right. So don't look at the bottom of my boat please. :)

Not trying to knock either technique. Sanding, and doing it well, takes practice. I used a sanding board very little on the kayak and the Weekender, both turned out very well. Just keep the sander moving. I did all of the detailed places by hand, but the large area were mostly power.

On both I used a PC RO 5" sander. Had to replace the bearings , switch, brushes and sanding pad.

QUOTE: The nice thing about building a boat for yourself is that you're the final judge as to what's good enough. For me, just the thought of all that sanding urges a "working finish

This is very true. Building the boat is half the battle. The other half is working to perfection in all the fairing and painting. Most all of you know what your boat's look like in person and on film. IE Pix's of them. Most of us only know what your boat looks like in the pix's.

Funny thing about pix's. Either the pix's don't do the boat justice or they hide a lot. Now if you can see the flaws in the pix's, ah you need to work on it some more. I've seen a few.

Paint it Black and it will tell on you in a Heart Beat. It's right or it isn't.

Black is by no means for everyone, But it will show a Perfect hull or not.

But then I'm a perfectionist.

That's a good point about the Pix, Warthog. I wonder if I can save myself a bunch of sanding by simply getting better at using Photoshop? 8)

I love the look of a black hull and I'm glad there are people like you doing it. Hulls and paint like that raise boatbuilding to art. I'm also really glad I'm NOT doing it. :wink:

I've got a pair of Porter Cable ROS machines. The kind that look like angle grinders. THey've been in daily use (for the most part) in my shop for 10 years now, and have been used in the building of 6 boats, the interior rebuild of two more, the sanding for repaint of 4 glass boats plus the sanding of innumerable pieces of furniture, and are still going strong on the original bearings, etc. I have replaced the brushes in each and the variable speed control failed in one of them.. And many many new pads :D Other than that, they are like a Timex- take a licking and keep on ticking. I DO blow them out well with the air hose on a regular basis, particularly when I'm sanding glass.

I also have a lighter DeWalt. My gripe with the DeWalt is that I can't just go buy a new pad- have to order it. And the ring that stops the disc spinning so it doesn't swirl the work when you put it back down doesn't last long- it's plastic. And the sealed on - off switch keeps getting packed with sanding dust someway and quits working til you blow it out. Otherwise it's an OK machine, but not the equal of the PC's