Pictures of the Princess, as promised

Charlie Jones

Forward hatch' date=' built to a design by Maurice Griffiths, way back when, before aluminum hatches even existed. It's curved to follow the cabin top curve[/quote']

Is this your design using Maurice's design concepts or his design? If the latter, may I ask where you found it? I am not opposed to buying a book or plan set. From the information you already sent me, I like this guy and too am sad he is no longer with us.

Thanks Charlie,

Greg.

Greg- I found the info on the old MAIB site when they had it up as an article. That's long gone but I saved it on my harddrive. I can send it to you, but it's basically the same as the article I gave you the link to. That's about all I've ever found on building the hatch.

I can vouch for the Griffiths hatch design. I built two for Rosebud back in the mid 80s. I also adapted the self-draining concept for the leading edge of the companionway hatch. In the three years that I cruised on Rosebud, I never had a problem with leakage.

I plan to replace the aluminum frame, rubber gasket design hatches (which leak) on Rosita with Griffiths design hatches. I will just add a small wooden coaming about 1" high and 1/2" outside of the existing fiberglass hatch bosses. There will be small gaps at the corners for drainage. I will make the new wooden hatch to fit the outside dimensions of the wooden coaming.

Greg - and anyone else interested:

Here is a sketch of some of the details I used on Rosebud's hatches. The teak strips were epoxied in place thenthe gaps were filled with graphite-filled epoxy. As the teak weathered away, the graphite-epoxy stood proud and eventually had to be sanded down. Otherwise, it worked great! When I build hatches for Rosita, I may use Flexteek instead of the teak strips.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

I just don't know what to say. I like it and I understand the feeling you may be experiencing when the baby leaves home, after so many hours of hands on giving of your soul. [Hows that for those corny Hallmark card lines?] :twisted: We were afforded shots and posts of a lot of the progress, and also waited to hear of the progress. Whats next in your world of boats?

Thanks Oyster. I've promised my wife that our Rhodes Meridian would now become the primary focus. She wants that boat SAILING, and so do I.

Otherwise, I've lots to do. Need some oars for our dink, and also some for our sharpie. Plan to add a third mast step to the sharpie so we can really throttle it down when we need to.

I do have a couple of prospects for more boats- we'll see. You know how that goes :)

The first one is always the hardest to come by, and after that its making the decision of which project you want to do, during those one ot two year layoffs. :lol: Remember, if you have two that almost, always has to be done in the same time frame, there are others that are looking to live up to your standards. :wink:

Now what about some action shots?? Yea, Yea?????