Pictures of the Princess, as promised

Charlie Jones

These were shot just before we rolled her out of the shop and some were taken at madisonville, La at the Woodenboat festival.

First- here's looking toward the bow. The white wood in the center between the settees lifts out. It hides the porta potti. The cover is hinged and lays against the anchor rode storage cover when the potti is in use.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Here's the steps from the cockpit to the cabin. The second step is lift out to access the strorage for the ice chest which sits under the bridge deck. You can see it's space.

The sole is oiled fir, with small spaces between boards so water can drain through. Travis has grandkids who'll be swimming :lol:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

Charlie,

Very nice interior finish details. I like the accent of natural wood, but a large percentage of paint. Much brighter inside than with more or mostly bright finish. Has a very clean and organized appearance.

Looks like I busted in during your picture posting session...sorry.

Forward hatch' date=' built to a design by Maurice Griffiths, way back when, before aluminum hatches even existed. It's curved to follow the cabin top curve[/quote']

I have a problem with the forepeak hatch factory design on the Laguna I own due to the curving down at the front. I expect to design a custom wooden hatch to replace the plastic one. Could you point me to where you got this beautiful design from. The more I learn about hatch design the more comfortable I will be about making a custom design.

Thanks Charlie for sharing these great pictures.

Thanks Charlie. This is exactly what I was looking/hoping to find. There are other books which I am also looking at, but your use of a particular designer speaks LOUDLY to me. I wonder if there are more resources available to learn from that designer?

Sadly, Maurice is gone to Fiddlers Green. Here's a couple of links about him.

http://www.eventides.org.uk/designers.htm

http://www.eventides.org.uk/maurice.htm

He designed bilge keelers and shoal draft boats. Did a lot of cruising and designed stuff FOR cruising folks. He's mentioned often by Hiscock and also by Don Street in his OSY I and II

and finally' date=' yours truly driving the final screw into the gallows. The gallows is mahogany with two accent strips of ash laid in. The uprights are stainless.[/quote']

Stunning Charlie, just stunning! You are a true craftsman--the photos of the boat exude quality. And as nice as the photos are, I'm sure they do not even begin to do justice to the boat or show all of the care that went into the real thing. The new owner should be very, very proud.

--Jim in N.Va.

Charlie,

The Princess looks just great. :D Sorry that Graham was too loaded (work) to get down to see it. Have you gotten to sail it? I sailed in the first one several years ago and it proved to be a fine handling boat, as I would expect from one of Graham's designs.

Travis is lucky to find someone willing to share this kind of work (soul) with him. When one of my creations leaves, a part of me goes with it. :( I'm sure you feel that way even though it was to be someone elses boat from the beginning.