Spindrift 9N #448 finished (warning: lots of big pictures!

rlchenry

Looks GREAT, Ray! I really like the oar stowage solution. How do you think the two-piece oars will hold up in use?

I see the reinforcing ribs you added to the bottom panels. Did you think that was necessary to keep them from flexing? I think the formed sections are actually very strong. I stood on the center with my boat upside down while it was stitched. It must be even stronger now. But I have thought that the panel areas might flex a little while towing.

What paint did you use? Was that the Rustoleum stuff that you were looking for? It looks great!

I will be building a place inside Rosita over the quarter berth (and into the cockpit locker) for stowing the mast, boom and oars. I want to keep them out of the sun when not in use. I do need to think about locakble storage for when the dinghy is at the dock.

With my 11N, I have room for a neat storage solution in the bottom of the bow section for two removable seat sections and the rudder that won't fit onto my flotation/storage compartments. They are stacked and then held in place with PVC tubing sprung between two saddles for the tubing ends. You can see a photo at my web site at:

http://www.pbase.com/sailrosita/expedition_dinghy

Congratulations on your maiden voyage this weekend. She should be great fun to sail. I'll bet you child is excited!

I don't know how the oars will hold up. I bought them on ebay. They are VERY good quality, though, German-made. The stainless coupler is really heavy. If these don't hold up, then I am convinced that there are none that will.

I used the Rustoleum on the bottom just because I had the can. A guy on the TSBB got me a second quart so I was able to finish. The inside is Interlux Brightside, Hatteras Off-White. It seems MUCH more durable than the Rustoleum. I figured the bottom would get beaten up pretty bad, and that I'd be painting it "often".

I am planning for the same mast and boom storage location on Seaweed. The portside aft quarterberth into the cockpit lazarette.

I saw your bow storage solution - really neat. My 9ft bow section is really short.

I have a few more "aftermarkets" I forgot to include in the email I already sent. I'll send them on tomorrow.

Take Care,

Ray

Nice work indeed. But you may want to monitor your Brigthsides, if you wish to do another boat in it. The paint does not hold up that great, unless you used multiple coats, like four to five coarts of it, applied in thin coats. The primers are important, as the paint will mildew on the surface bigtime, if ordinary oil base primers is used. The paint is really overrated for the price of it. This is just my thoughts, as you mentioned doing another hull.

As far as the oars, keep them apart, when not in use, and in the sun shine. Wash them thorougly after salt water use. Lubricate the button.

Nice job on your boat, richenry.

I have the plans for a 10' 'single piece' version, and I intend to build it soon. I hope mine will look as good as yours.

I reckon your oars will be fine - I had 2 piece oars on a previous dinghy, and the connectors were a black plastic (nylon or PVC?) material - I am not sure which - but they lasted me a few years, took a lot of abuse and were still fine when I sold that boat. Being stainless steel however, yours should last forever!

Chris.

• 1 month later...

I'll second Barry's praise ... its a great looking boat! The web site is very nice too; even though you have a lot of pictures, it loaded pretty quickly (pictures are worth waiting for on a web site like that, but not so many of the "fancy" things people sometimes try to do, like flash animations, large backgrounds, etc.)