Birder going together

John Weigandt

I know it will probably drive Graham nuts, but here is a picture of our Birder going together. My 13 year old daughter laid out all the panels from the plans, sprung the battens, and drew all the curves.

She helped with stitching and pulling together with straps and clamps. I did all the cutting and googe.

Why will it drive the designer nuts... well we are using lauan 5 mm from Lowes, glass tape on the seams, tractor paint from the surplus store, etc.

Final cost will be about a dollar per pound. Right now the boat weighs in at 52 pounds, due to the penalty of the thicker ply.

Marine ply is hard to come by in these parts, and we figured there wasn't much down side if the lauan wouldn't take the shapes at 7 bucks a sheet. We had a few tense moments and some extra head scratching, but as you can see, it is working and making a nice little boat.

http://www.riverbendvet.com/newweb/kayak.htm

Hey John,

I built a Bateau D4 using the same materials you are. I beat it up pretty good this summer, running into all sorts of things a real sailor would tack around. I put it up in my garage after each outing, and it'll be in there all winter. I bet the luan holds up for 20 years with this kind of treatment.

I really think you've got it right - boat is secondary, fun with daughter is primary. Who cares if it falls apart in two years; you both can look, remember, and laugh. :D

Cute pink hat she's got there, too. In all honesty, do you wear it sometimes? :wink:

I built a DK-13 out of Luan once. Matter of fact that's it in my avatar. It was coated outside with 6 oz glass and epoxy and it held up well. The tortured hul gave it amazing strength. However it fell apart from the inside out. I just painted the inside instead of coating it with epoxy It lasted 3-4 years. But I just wanted to test the waters so to speak and see if I really liked this little boat and I really didn't. To small for me. I figured I had $100 in it and a lot of education. I paddled that boat a good bit and figure I more than got a $100 worth from it.

Building with you daughter I figure you will more than get you money out of it too.

John,

Marine ply can be difficult to come by in most places. There are alternatives other than lauan . There is nothing wrong with lauan except that much of it uses glue that is not even fog resistant. Lauan is actually more durable than okoume. I do find the 52 lbs a bit much.

My two Birders finished out at 34 lbs with 4mm okoume. The boats would be fine with 3mm ply instead of 4mm and might come in at 28 lbs. There are manufacturers of cored home doors almost every where. Even with no suppliers of the ply facing in your area, you should be able to buy some from local door builders. Get the exterior kind which has waterproof glue. It is often okoume but can be anything from birtch to walnut. It comes in sheets 3' by 7' and is inexpensive (relatively).

As said though, the experience of having a project that interests your offspring overpowers all other considerations.

this is ostensibly exterior glue. I'm a veteran of non marine ply construction though. My first boat is now about 18 years old and still kicking made with 1/4 inch acx ply, construction adhesive, bronze screws, polyester resin and glass.

I made a Weekender now 6 years old in epoxy/ glass / acx hand picked plywood.

I made a knockoff of the Birder II in 1/4 inch ply / glass and did 16 miles on the Mississippi in it last summer paddling with a double paddle., solo. with a group of kayakers.. They put about 5 minutes per hour on me, but I caught up at the stops, and had a blast but was exhausted.

Now if you want to talk lack of durability ... we'll talk cardboard boating. 1 canoe and 1 paddle catamaran.

I know it's a disease, and cheap ply makes the treatment slightly more affordable

John