Thoughts on a misc boating section poll and question

Would there be some interest on a misc section on boating?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would there be some interest on a misc section on boating?

• Do you read throught the past threads or do a search on your off topic inquiries?
    • DO you use other sites and forums for your sources?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed something' date=' what happen to the little "title" or "rank" we got for the number of posts we had? Just wondering.

And Frank, do you have to "edit" many posts or are we just all real nice people?[/quote']

I eliminated the ranks when Capt Jake got to the top ... figuring that the progression was then known, and the joke was over. I intended to replace them with something else, but still haven't decided. I thought about a "custom rank" that would include a person's boat name if they have launched, but then decided against it.

I actually don't edit many posts. I think I have edited or deleted 4 or 5 posts from the regular users in the entire time the site has been up, and then I always announce when I have done so. I did do a general "housecleaning" of a certain poster who "rubbed" me the wrong way, eliminating all traces of his brief yet disruptive stay here (my version of the old Jewish curse "may his name be blotted out").

Maybe it's hard to accept, but there really are a lot of wonderful people gathered here by Frank's campfire. That doesn't mean we aren't tempermental as well (with my kids, I call myself "the groutchy old lady") and we could blow up with each other over lots of topics. But we choose not to. And the result reminds us who we are. Way cool and all ages too. 8) I want to be like Alexander and his sister and the Mohawk boys when I grow up.

One of the new members chiming in:

I love this place and wouldn't change a thing. I couldn't be building this Core Sound 20 without a lot of your help (or if I tried, it'd sure be a funny lookin' boat). I like the people. I like the One Rule (now that I know about it). And, although I'm in it mainly for the technical stuff, I appreciate more and more getting to know people via their personal comments. In a community of people, off-topic is sometimes not really off-topic!

And I've just figured out that space is not the main issue. (I was trying to avoid starting new threads so as not to clutter the place up!)

I most strenuously aplaud Frank's work here (there -- is that loud enough?), and if he ever collects together an FAQ or whatever, I'll be a frequent customer.

There is an interesting point here. FAQ's about building are not directly linked to the forum. FAQ's about using the forum are here but perhaps there could be a link to the Boatbuilding FAQ's added to the header. That could make a big difference to those that are looking for answers and just lurking. That might make things easier to find. I don't know how many of the participants go to the Weekender page and follow the links with any regularity, but I have done so and found some excellent information in my surfing around.

I know that when I was just starting my Weekender, I was reading just about everything I could locate that had any relationship to building one. I copied web site information and links and when I found a good photo and a description of what was done I copied them to my computers "building" file.

this really is the best board in the whole world. Folks here just seem to know*limits* and behave pretty well without much talkn' to....it is like the little town in the desert that i am on vacation in...where people take their shopping carts back to the "return you cart here" place and wave even when they don't know ya.

i am all for what makes it easier for people to get more out of the board posts and info....i like to read everything and have much to catch up on when i quit vacationing... :P

Adla

Heck, if i'd known it were a competition to find a name I'd have spent months and months thinking about it, and probably wouldn't have come up with the shed. It was just an observation I was having at the time.

Frank, I'd be happy for you to call the new upcoming section anything you want to, but if the word shed does appear in the description I will need a disclaimer posted underneath it stating that this was an idea 'stolen' from me, and that I retain all rights to the word. :lol:

Furthermore you might like to check that the BYYB organisation haven't used MY word on their site prior to you using it :P

Sorry Frank I couldn't resist

For those that don't already know about the BYYB 'happening'...

http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/question.htm

Another thought regarding naming a misc. section might be the "GAM"

Whaling ships during the hey day of that infamous occupation "hove to" and exchanged mates and captains to discuss their prey and just where they were. Of course other chatter was bandied about. :wink:

The below is excerpted from Melvile's "Moby Dick" in which he describes the "Gam" far better then I.

Nevertheless, this same expressive word has now for many years been in constant use among some fifteen thousand true born Yankees. Certainly it needs a definition, and should be incorporated into the Lexicon. With that view, let me learnedly define it. Gam. Noun --A social meeting of two (or more) Whale-ships, generally on a cruising-ground; when, after exchanging hails, they exchange visits by boats' crews: the two captains remaining, for the time, on board of one ship, and the two chief mates on the other. There is another little item about Gamming which must not be forgotten here. All professions have their own little peculiarities of detail; so has the whale fishery. In a pirate, man-of-war, or slave ship, when the captain is rowed anywhere in his boat, he always sits in the stern sheets on a comfortable, sometimes cushioned seat there, and often steers himself with a pretty little milliner's tiller decorated with gay cords and ribbons. But the whale-boat has no seat astern, no sofa of that sort whatever, and no tiller at all. High times indeed, if whaling captains were wheeled about the water on castors like gouty old aldermen in patent chairs. And as for a tiller, the whale-boat never admits of any such effeminacy; and therefore as in gamming a complete boat's crew must leave the ship, and hence as the boat steerer or harpooneer is of the number, that subordinate is the steersman upon the occasion, and the captain, having no ( page 240 ) place to sit in, is pulled off to his visit all standing like a pine tree. And often you will notice that being conscious of the eyes of the whole visible world resting on him from the sides of the two ships, this standing captain is all alive to the importance of sustaining his dignity by maintaining his legs. nor is this any very easy matter; for in his rear is the immense projecting steering oar hitting him now and then in the small of his back, the after-oar reciprocating by rapping his knees in front. He is thus completely wedged before and behind, and can only expand himself sideways by settling down on his stretched legs; but a sudden, violent pitch of the boat will often go far to topple him, because length of foundation is nothing without corresponding breadth. Merely make a spread angle of two poles, and you cannot stand them up. Then, again, it would never do in plain sight of the world's riveted eyes, it would never do, I say, for this straddling captain to be seen steadying himself the slightest particle by catching hold of anything with his hands; indeed, as token of his entire, buoyant self-command, he generally carries his hands in his trowsers' pockets; but perhaps being generally very large, heavy hands, he carries them there for ballast. Nevertheless there have occurred instances, well authenticated ones too, where the captain has been known for an uncommonly critical moment or two, in a sudden squall say --to seize hold of the nearest oarsman's hair, and hold on there like grim death.

Please read the terms under which this book is provided to you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------