West Coast Builders...

MikeStevenson

Hi,

This is a bit of a squirrelly topic, so I apologise in advance for posting here, but I think most of the West Coast builders are on this forum rather than the BYYB one.

Having attended the Big Messabout in MD., we got to thinking about a West Coast version. Where becomes a big question. A lot of boats are in the WA/OR region, but then again there is a growing Southwestern Fleet. The SW group is thinking about Mission Bay (in San Diego), which has the advantages of being an ideal place for our boats (since we tested and photographed them there originally...) and close by for them. Not so close for us, and certainly not for anyone in the NW. There are also a fair number of boats in the Central areas of the coast but inland: Sacramento, NV, ID, UT.

We lean toward Tomales Bay quite heavily as an ideal spot for our boats.

There's usually lots of wind (but not too much), the water's pretty flat as the bay is very protected. It really is a fjord-type water, with a nearly impassable opening to the sea (at least I wouldn't want to try to sail it without a bit of local knowledge. It's a mid-California channel like Morro Bay's opening: potentially huge waves and a tiny slot to get through!) So the "bay" is really a salt water lake of sorts, surrounded by rolling hills of green and a forested headland to the west. Very picturesque, with a 1940's feel to the area (fairly consciously, as it's a protected region with severely limited development.)

All-in-all, a nice spot for a gathering. And as became apparent at the recent Big Meet, one needs local hotels and restaurants not too far off. There is a range of each within a not too long drive.

It's central in as much as it's about as far for either group, but it just may be too far altogether. The Sacramento and SFO area people would probably make it no sweat, but everyone else would have long hauls each way. On the plus-side, there's also Sausalito to explore if you've trailed your boat so far.

Given the distances out here, I suspect we'll never get a whole West Coast meet; probably NorWest and SouWest meets and maybe an inland West meet east of the Sierras.

Anyone want to chime in with ideas and/or take over the planning of a meet? I know we'd love to sail with more boats, but we're more into the sailing than the club aspects (meetings, minutes, seminars, etc.) We've just never been very into the club gestalt, but I know most people are more tolerant of this than we are (which is good, as a lot of good does seem to have come from the social aspect of club-scenes: people are helping out on each other's boats, etc.) Of course, a West-Coast meet could be run to less formal standards: "We're going to be at X-and-such on said date, be there or don't. You're on your own and bring what you want to BBQ and drink." We tried this with Tomales a few years ago and one fellow did show up to get a test-sail on a Weekender. Unfortunately, it turned out to be one of the few weeks a year without much wind...Perhaps next time.

Mike

Sacramento from my place is a good 14 hour drive, not towing anything. I gather that this is much further South than this???

While we are on this, what about long distance towing with 'smaller' wheels on the trailer? Meaning about 12" wheels; is there a greater probablity of loosing a bearing at freeway speeds (I suspect so)??

Although I would love to meet the other builders and have a chance to see their workmanship and discuss the projects, getting a common location that would be within a reasonable drive for the majority of Western builders is pretty unlikely. I too would probably not drag my boat to California or very far out of Western Washington.

I would perhaps consider flying/driving to attend a gathering of builders here on the West Coast.

I'm not very into the social/political relationships of a group such as the BYYB has become. I'm sure it is fine for those that desire that type of activity and for those in the East, things are a lot closer and easier to get to than on the Left Coast. I would rather find another builder locally and enjoy each others company when we can get a chance to get together.

I personally can't see any of the Southwestern builders hauling to the Pacific Northwest to sail in say the San Juan Islands or the Eastern Washington, Montana, Idaho and Canadian builders driving to Arizona' Nevada or Southern California. I think the idea of sailing in Tomales Bay is attractive, but not any better for those of us up here than sailing on Lake Cour de Lane, the Central Washington and Canadian lakes, Lake Washington (in the Seattle area) or anywhere on Puget Sound or the Canadian Gulf Islands. Not to forget the Lakes in Big Sky Country or Utah and Oregon.

The opportunity to sail together with common interests is interesting, but there is so much diversity here and wonderful places to sail in the West that a "Destination" would be very difficult to decide upon.

I can't see this Western group getting very excited about coming from 1,00- 2,000 miles away in order to play a game of "Broadsides". No disrespect intended at all for the game, or the BYYB's Messabout. And I think it would be great to meet the Creator(s) and show off everyones interpretation of the original plans. I just don't see a common enough local that could be an attractive enough draw to get all of them together.

So perhaps a number of Reginal Sail-in-Messabouts might be more in order

If there is sufficient interest in holding such an event, I would be willing to help organize it.

Wherever the meet, I will do my damnest to be there. The only hard spot I'd have is there is a blackout period from late Oct to Dec 31 for my workplace, and no vacation, etc is allowed. I do now however, and probably will continue to have these biweekly 4 day weekends :D(I work 12 hour shifts :shock:) and my days off are always in the latter half of the week.

Peace,

Roland

i would be up to traveling...the weather is better here and i should get back to building this week...

Barry, i have relatives in WA and you may see me someday talking about sailing in the San Juans....plus the eastern part of the Columbia is beautiful...blah blah blah and if MikE P kEeps posting pics of Alaska...i am ganna go that far toOo.

i also talked with Bill on the BYYB about arranging a meet...although, i think i hang out here more...i intend to talk to my southwestern peoples about some kind of get together...

Roland, if i ever finish...i will definately be in your neck of the woods...i have that place in Walker...

Adla

Jakey, 12" wheels is fine for the highway. The weight, of your boat, is such that the heat buildup is not that much. We tow to Florida, 900 plus miles, with 800 pounds, and never had had a problem. It the bull in the vehicle I would be worried about. :wink: [just kidding] Make sure you check the tire wear and feel the hubs. Overtightening the bearing nuts, and over greasing, will blow out the back seals and create the bearing loss.

I'm in for something in Southern or Northern California, schedule permitting. Its about 4 hours to drive to San Diego, but we'd make a weekend of it. Another 4 - 5 to get up to Monterey.

Barry's right about the scale of the west making it hard to get western builders together. Typically, I think you might be able to get some SoCal builders together someplace like Lake Casitas (near Ventura), where there's camping and a fairly large lake that limits the size and type of boats (24' maximum, no water skiing or other water contact).

frank...jezed as soon as i finish the boat....(they are talkin' about the upper 90's again here, YEAH!!!!) i am "down"...with any location and a little notice....I was mezurin' my gaff jaw bolts this afternoon and gettin ready to glass in my seats (not in 110 degrees no thanks) ....i'll sail anywhere...badly even....plus i don't know how to sail yet...but i can swim...

i think it would be neat to suggest a meeting and see what comes of it....

a.

I am a maximum 11 hours from just about everywhere on the west coast. There is Eagle lake. It is in north eastern California.

There is Whiskeytown Lake in Redding Ca. . Wouldn't it be great to find a place in the middle somewhere so there wouldn't be a two day drive for anyone. I don't care where it is because I will meet anywhere.

I'll definately be there. Hopefully I'll have my boat done too.

I must say, I'm impressed by the California fleet's willingness to drive around. I figured the primary opinion would echo Barry (as I kind of do...) San Diego would probably see us down there, but w/out a boat (not like we haven't done that area to death...plus we can probably bum a ride or two.) I'd actually be tempted to trail up to the S.Juans; I've heard too many nice things about the area.

It sounds like a Southwestern Fleet and a NorWestern one are the best idea, with anyone who's up for it crashing either group. The West-Coasters seem to be roughly in agreement that sailing is the aim, so as little organisation as can be gotten away with is preferred. Certainly fine by me. I think I'd probably want to spend my time at a meet exploring the water, informal races only in as much as anyone's headed in the same directions, and maybe beachfires, etc. Maximum time spent using the boats, as usually people have come in from pretty far off.

Mike

It sounds like a Southwestern Fleet and a NorWestern one are the best idea, with anyone who's up for it crashing either group. The West-Coasters seem to be roughly in agreement that sailing is the aim, so as little organisation as can be gotten away with is preferred. Certainly fine by me. I think I'd probably want to spend my time at a meet exploring the water, informal races only in as much as anyone's headed in the same directions, and maybe beachfires, etc. Maximum time spent using the boats, as usually people have come in from pretty far off.

This is the best thought on a gathering I have heard based around these boats Mike.

I would like to add that there should also be a drunk sailing race, tattoo contest and a good blues band in attendance. 8)

Guest Frank Girard

Hi everyone;

Been lurking on the site for several months now and thought I'd better come out of hiding finally.

I've built a Pocket Cruiser this spring and early summer (not named yet). It's not finished, but has been launched. Finishing will have to wait till winter now. It doesn't come close to the craftsmanship that some of you display, but it's a functional vessel and at my age function outranks beauty.

Anyway, I'd be interested in a group or groups on this coast. I'm located in Central Oregon which is central to everyone and near no one. Whiskeytown lake sounds good to me for a spring messabout. I'd like to sail that lake.

Frank

Its about 4 hours to drive to San Diego

From Oxnard? Frank, as a kid I lived first in San Diego, then Thousand Oaks. It never took nearly as much as 4 hours to make that trip. (Well, it was 1959 . . . ) I must assume that longitudinal slippage along the San Andreas fault has effectively doubled the length of Southern California :shock: .

Its about 4 hours to drive to San Diego

From Oxnard? Frank' date=' as a kid I lived first in San Diego, then Thousand Oaks. It never took nearly as much as 4 hours to make that trip. (Well, it was 1959 . . . ) I must assume that longitudinal slippage along the San Andreas fault has effectively doubled the length of Southern California :shock: .[/quote']

Depends on traffic. I missed meeting Graham in Irvine when it took me 4 hours to get to Newport Beach on Christmas Eve. That's only about 92 miles, but it took 4 hours.

Mapquest says that San Diego is 187 miles from my house, and 2 hours and 57 minutes. I'm rotten at math, but isn't that at about 65 MPH? Think I could average that on the LA freeways towing a boat? 187 miles at an average of 50 MPH would be closer to 3:45.

I dunno about Tomales Bay. It can be very fickle wind wise. Quite shallow in many places. Inverness is nice small town with some accomodations but probably pricey being near SF. There is a nice State Park to the west of Inverness, Hearts Desire IIRC, but I can't recall anything about overnight camping. That should be easy to find out about since the CA State Parks have a web site. Roads from either Petaluma or San Rafael are one lane each way and on weekends can be LOADED with cars.

Mission Bay is just a few miles from this tenament I am currently living in, Point Loma/Shelter Island neighborhood. There are some decent spots on MB but the trailer launching spots do crowd up. Several areas of MB are just chock-a-block full of those damn water scooter things. They are zipping and zapping about from dawn til dusk. The launch ramp in Pacific Beach is not the easiest one to get to. There are several on Mission Bay proper but again they do crowd up.

Now one plus for SD is that the Parks Dept will allow gatherings and reserve an area for groups. Some one would have to do the leg work on that. Mostly a nice breeze off the ocean which is just a sand dune ( albiet loaded with houses) away.

The pass to the ocean is not bad to traverse during the summer. All sorts use it from sport fishers to those water scooter things.

Accomodations are all over the place price wise but tend to be high during the peak months. Don't forget Pacific Beach is a party area with legions of young people up to all hours. There is a place called Campground by the Bay with overnight spots for camper/trailers/tenters.

I do very well realize I have not painted a rosy picture of either place but I want to see you folks have a good time and not be disappointed.

With all the people living in California from San Francisco south to San Diego and 99.9% of them on the road at any one time. I think I might suggest a Northern West Coast rally and a Southern West Coast rally.

With a decent time interval between just in case there are those folks who have the time, money and fortitude to want to do both.

Jes' my nickles worth.