Waste no time!!

For the record and the file, this is the boat that is complete with the parts. I added a nice piece of teak for the mast step to reinforce it, and with a backing plate to sandwich the seat. Again click twice for clarity.

post-0-129497641664_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641672_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497641676_thumb.jpg

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks awesome BTW

Ditto, very nice indeed!! On the wheel weights, I melted down about #100 one afternoon. It really is pretty easy. I have to make a weight for my rudder to help make it not so bouyant. It would make it easier to lower it. That is the last thing I have on my 'punch' list. :)

Yeh, when are you going sailing????? :)

Sailing???? I am sailing. Can't you see the mast upright?? The boat was in shallow water this past weekend. Is there some regulation that states that a boat will need to be in a certain depth to qualify for Tim to agree that its sailing?? :P Geewizz, so many demands, so many guildlines, and so maaaanyyyyys....... Lets see, I work 19 hour days, three jobs, housework, gardening maintainance, and moral support in the late evening for my better half, and you expect for me to take the time to play with my boat? Well, being you ask, I cannot tell you. I had a lot of good intentions last week.

I can go now, but decided to modify several items such as a new board and extra coats of varnish on the decks. Well, lets see, maybe next weekend...... My wife will be off call and rested by then. I do plan on having it ready for the July race but will not race, but just cruise, even if its by electric engine.

Actually I had a call about the boat today, from a listing on the bulletin board at the local marina.

Capt, firetruck, I did not want to melt down the weights as I had figured the depth for reinforcing the slotted area with extra glass, too.

So with all that you do ( 3 jobs etc etc) you did manage to actually build the boat....in what I thought was record time. In fact, it happened so fast I thought you were fully retired and bored. :lol:

So now you have to find some time to actually sail...in water deep enough to fully extend the board when needed...and wind enough to get up on a plane.....with pictures. So don't forget the chase boat and photog. 8)

Can't wait, she will look quite fine on her lines I am sure. You are a lucky guy. :D

No hurry.....take your time.....when the time is perfect.....don't forget the champagne.

Actually I had a call about the boat today, from a listing on the bulletin board at the local marina.

Does this mean you are going to sell the boat? Or are you just looking for crew........?

Yes the boat is now for sale. Whether I sell it our not is the question, as it takes the right person to take on such a task, having the wish and knowledge of taking care of it down the road. Yes I have three part time jobs, and yes I am retired from the boating industry. Our family is in the process of organizing our struture to be able to spend six months on the water, with our youngens leaving the nest, one left for a year on our payroll.

I had plans for the alternative school program for rehabing several hulls, but arts and its funding seems to be always lacking unless you, as an individual , do it yourself. I wish to give back that which I have been fortunate to learn and do on my own, because of what I have gotten from the time in the shops and on the water, messingabout and mucking around in wooden boats in particular..... There is another world out there past the keyboards for our youth. The one way they can respect it and enjoy it, is to be exposed to it. The world is an ever changing world of good, contrary to popular belief, or as its said many times by doomsdayers. .

You are to be commended for your efforts to reach the kids and get them "beyond the keyboard". I have been fortunate enough to work with kids in the past few years in theater, and I believe that whether it's boats or arts or whatever, the ones who get involved in something larger than themselves, something they care passionately about, will be much less at risk. Additionally, I think it's important to expose as many people as possible to boats that don't involve high levels of noise, reckless speed, and pollution. Congratulations on a beautiful boat, Oyster. I can't wait to see pics of it on the water!

• 3 weeks later...

When mamma happy, then all is well with the world. The boat could have not performed any better. I do have some refining of the lines and hardware, and a bit to do with some pre-planned storage under the seat thwarts, but all in all, what a fine day with little or no problems and much better in performance as expected. Thanks again for all the replies and comments. I did not have any way to get pictures from another boat with the hull in its full form. 8)

Well, we did not have a Force ten wind, but we did have an evening to behold with scenery and company. I had Tom Lathrop and Graham out for a test run for a new set of matching sails to be made and a few handling lessons in light air next to those creosote pilings. :shock: I hang my head in shame and fright as these two old pros put her through the paces. I leave you with the distance shots as the evening sun in the west as a fitting scene and created a nice closing to this pictorial project.

Please click twice to enjoy it as much as I did..... :)

post-0-129497642093_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497642099_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497642106_thumb.jpg

post-0-129497642114_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...