Waste no time!!

Yes, Craig, I smoothe it out with a little bit of spirits on some old socks, you know the ones that end up being singles out of the washing machine, :wink: after cleaning the heavy excess with a cut wedge of wood, let it cure and then sand it down. Its much easier than worrying about removing all of the the excess. It also makes a good seal and rounds out the corners to keep any moisture from gathering in the cracks, around the seams. It receives paint very good, after the curing of it. I got the sides fit today, and will glue them in place and cut the clean sheerline tommorrow.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I probably get more out of it, in the small steps towards completion, and sometimes I make too much out of the progress. But this site is just a good site, and you guys are just a good bunch of folks here.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. I have refined the deck supports to fit the need and likes for the boat. I use a 1/4 batten once again for this job, placing it on top, cutting the faces right angle or plum up. Then I place the batten on the face to check for a fair lead cleaning up the faces and angles parrallel to the hull sides at each point. i will be cutting the supports up to the uniform witdh for the coaming layers before the deck goes on it. I am planning on using a nice woode trim to edge it. Yes I have sunk to the desires of a varnished or at least a painted out of contrasting colors, the trim and toe rails, also that will be applied upon the finishing of the decks. The foward section will be closed up, but awaiting the inside finish work to be done.

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

I had to change one of the shots, Steve. I was alerted that the camera angle showed the boat in a way that did not look like I knew half of what I was doing, or if I had taken some refreshments early in the day.

Thats a spoon bow garvey, as its known. I became so sensitive to epoxy, and ran close on funds for continuing my habit with glass coated hulls, I am now prolonging the demise associated with salt water abuse to the boats and this hull. Given the prices of outboard motors, it may not see the elements for quite a while. I will find a shot of one of the finished ones, and add to the this post later.

Dave, know whachu mean, jellybean. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Boring and nothing to tell you about but a lot of glue. Figured I wait till I had some showy stuff. I have been out of town for way too many days to work on the boat. I have been in the process of multiple layers 3 of 2 1/4" stock of solid laminates to create a nice and sturdy coaming, which to also laminate a book matched Mahogany solid veneer to it. Curves take time to make it uniform and right, if there ever is such a thing in boats.

Also I have consumed too much space with daily "grass growing shots" :wink:, along with the speechless drool ? on the keyboard of the new cs 22 Princess shots. I felt ashamed to put my rough mess up. Sometimes some of us just slither off into the sunset, when so many of the nice projects have emerged as has in the last month or so. Now back to the glue process.

Mike,

While Charlie's work is really great, I still enjoy watching your work develop.

The Princess is simply outstanding, but your work is no less awesome. I have marvelled at you starting with a few boards and coming up with the boat. She will be a joy to behold, particularly knowing how she was built.

Right now, I would be hard pressed to try to figure out which one of these boats I would enjoy looking at, and sailing, more.

Steve

update, Speaking of mistakes, I made one[first one that I can't modify] of those undoing ones today. After resawing the absolutely gourgous mahogany, and book matching the pieces, the old tired eyes gave up on me when I glued the back section together, flipping over the portside piece, showing the nice darker area on the top section after the turn foward and the bottom part on the right side. But the bow came out just right, or so says the admiral in charge. But its gonna stay puttts cause its epoxied in place and has a coat of nice helmsman varnish on it, with numerous to follow.