Waste no time!!

Cross planking?? Where?? :wink: 8) Does this look okay, except for a little extra caulk on the portside.? I actually rough shaved down the complete keel at first, but not to affect any strutual problems, only a bit of esteen problem for me, as a mental brain lapse, which seems to be a lot lately. You think its the wooden dust?? :lol: Be careful, you may not be able to return for two weeks when venturing up state? Member??? :shock:

[attachment over 4 years old deleted by admin]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is FUN, Barry. I am working with 3/4 stock, though, free cypress stuff. So I have to fudge a little at the changeover with some small additions. But the bottom will be glassed, :roll: to stay on a trailer, This is as the old style of skipjacks and work boats, except for some old timers would use chunks of wood in the extreme foward and then shape it all down with spokeshaves and hand planes. The stepping is actually used in the larger vessels. But I like to use it in the under 20 footers. I just like it that way. I am back to the jig that you can see, around 8 foot. But it will go fast now. I plan on sanding the inside of the hull upside down and with no false keelsons and interior trunks for the ease that it allows me. I still have another 12 inches or so for the sides.

But waiting to put the planks on allows me to get under it and make sure I have a good seam of caulk at all mating points, and seams of the planks too. Also I try not to leave a lot to sand. People say when I mix epoxy, I don't leave enough epoxy to fill even a peanut butter cracker sandwich. I like to use all unused avaliable caulk, hanging around chines and seams too.

Be worth the trip down there for a load of that "free cypress stuff"! :lol:

I had enough to do some planking on a nice dory a number of years back, but would love to get enough to do a real project.

I'm familiar with the blocking on the Skipjacks and planking aft of that. Actually done some of that block carving and shaping on a couple of smaller boats years ago. Was an enjoyable experience.

My partner and her best friends have been working on me to build a 37' Friendship with some interior comforts for cruising the Left Coast and North to Alaska. They have been out East and spent a number of days on several trips sailing in widely varied conditions on several of them. They seem dedicated to the concept. I'm not quite as excited about building the entire boat. So now they are thinking about haveing me finish the interior and the running rigging and having one of the Boatbuilding Schools do it as a project.

OH for the love of wooden boats! :wink:

I may have to scrounge around for a few more pieces of cypress. I got to figuring in the old norgan today, that I may wind up a little lite on the goodies. But if all else fails, I may have to pay for some white cedar, or juniper in our neck of the woods, to finish the botom aft. I have modified the bow section for the ease of stepping. I use to "let in" under the keel area, in the first section and forgo the capping, but my eyes got old and I got more impatient, so this works fine for me. I am still blown away with some of the weekenders and the fine finishes some of the fellows and yes I am sure some of the ladies will end up with, around here. But I do this more for the enjoyment than actually getting on the water on them. We only boat about four months a year, when it cools off. Other than that, we go into the mountians with our canoe. The fall weekends, about four out of eight, to be exact, consists of our youngest high school band programs. But I only have two years left on that one.

Oh well, its time for us easteners to wonder off to sleepyland.

Well, I hope that I am not overstepping my boundaries here. But I would like to share a few more steps in my progress. I still have some shaping to do, after I finish the bottom . Frank, if this is over endulgence for yoru board, please feel free to delete this thread.

Well' date=' I hope that I am not overstepping my boundaries here. But I would like to share a few more steps in my progress. I still have some shaping to do, after I finish the bottom . Frank, if this is over endulgence for yoru board, please feel free to delete this thread.[/quote']

Not at all! I think we all enjoy these pictures and watching the progress. This is, after all, what messing-about is all about!

Oyster are you bedding those planks with 5200? I am really enjoying watching you do this.

Thanks. This is really my love in boating. Its sad that the days of access to the water is so limited, access to materials have changed without a big struggle to aquire a lot of it, that we must compromise on building technigues and this has created a hybrid building approach at some of the designs and traditions.

Actually not. I have found the PL window, Door, and Siding caulk to be very favorable to this application for flex and at some point down the road, a reworkable flex caulking. In my opinion, 5200 is a dated product now for several reasons.

I also use fasteners with it in this type construction. With the modified shaping that is required after gluing, I use hardware to hold the strips in place, such as small finish nails, and or sheetrock screws, till it dries. I do place nails sideways, in the building process, at the approx location of wood that will be left upon shaping. Sometimes I miss it a little. But when I grind it, I just pull them out and use some fill in the small hole and its fine. It also drys within a day, so I just remove them, shpe the wood the way I like it, and then pin the strips with stainless or copper nails, depending on what types of hardware I will be using on the rest of the boat. Normally bronze screws or copper nails, would be my choice. But we have to order in most of it now. So this boat will be all stainless fasteners, which is my second choice, for several reasons, the largest being the quality of it nowadays.

By the way, A fellow member that frequent this place sometimes, Warthog lives in Pensacola.

My son has a new duty station in Jacksonville, Fla. He has been a bunch of places in the past two years, with Key West as his main station, but being deployed overseas, and then to Haiti. He has taken a non-combat position, or so they say, :roll: for the next three years, hopefully.

YeS, but it got dark on me. So it doesn't show up that swell. Tommorrow Mr. Watson. I have the keel capped and ready to shape back to the centerboard trunk.