through hull sealant?

Guest capt jake

Guest capt jake

OK, As I attatch the through hull components (chain plates, tiller eyebolts, etc), What is the recommended sealant?

I have heard that silicone is a no go, due to later contamination of the silicone. Polysulfides (if you read the label) are only good for 24 hours after puncturing the seal.

Any other 'clear' goop out there?? I have some 'Goop', you know, plumbers, sportsmans, household Goop..., it is all the same, just a different package.

Thoughts??

jwentz4@attbi.com

Guest Frank Hagan, Weekender, O

3M 5200 is hard to beat. You shouldn't use it on tight assemblies, such as dovetail-sliding hardware, but for a "bedding compound" for chainplates, etc., its hard to beat. I've heard stories from people saying you can't get it off once its on, but I've removed and re-bedded several things with it. It is strong, though!

I don't think they make it in clear though. White or light brown, but not clear. I went with white. You might be too concerned with the small white line that will appear under anything you bed. But repeat after me: "its only a boat, its only a boat"

fshagan@ev1.net

Guest Charlie Jones, Lotsa boat

3M 4200, rather than the 5200. It's modified and will come off a bit easier, but is just as good a bedding.

I can buy smaller tubes of either at my local Walmart, in both regular and fast cure. Unless I'm doing a large job, that's what I get. They will keep in the tubes for several weeks at least, maybe more. You'll have to remove the cured plug in the end of the tube though. Iuse a drill bit and ream it out :)

Mbdolfns@nospamtisd.net