Self baling core sound 15????

I am just thinking out loud so if it scares anyone just don't pay any attention to me. Buuut I was wondering if it would be possible and practical to build a floation chamber the length of the bottom of say a coresound 15? Then make self baling right out the transom. Then for fun over power it a bit.

And if your warm water sailing just push it to the edge and be on all day. When you go in the drink just get back in and go again.

What do you all think?? :shock:

Scott

Scott,

I looked at working self bailing into the CS 17 a while back. I was mainly interested in making the aft cockpit area drain through the transom in order to allow a beach cruising tent over the forward cockpit and not have water in the bilge in the morning. Even with this half length self draining attempt, the sole gets too high and takes up excessive volume so that the steps Graham mentions are necessary to make it work. To extend the slope of the cockpit sole all the way forward creates even more problems.

It can be done, but the compromises to the highly workable interior that Graham designed make it undesirable in my view.

Drainage is mainly a problem when the boat is not moving anyway. An Andersen automatic bailer next to the CB trunk will suck water out during the times that most water might get into the boat by spray or while on the trailer. That is the route most take in this area where many of these boats live.

Could you make a compromise? How about raising the cockpit sole enough to add flotation even if it doesn't make it self-bailing. The additional flotation could make it able to sail even with water sloshing in the cockpit. Add a footwell for the rower with an automatic bailer to remove the rest of the water once you get moving. Make the raised sole drain to the footwell to keep the cockpit dry in normal conditions.

Just an idea.