"Announcement: Tugboat idea

Mark Gudschinsky

Like a pedal boat? That's not a bad idea. The pedal boats you see at lakes and things are pretty inefficient, with the paddle wheel type of design. I've always thought that having something that worked like a sculling oar would be better ... that's like an oar that goes in the water behind the boat and instead of moving up and down, stays in the water and moves from side to side.

Maybe something like this?

madelinepr.jpg

I think the plans are in Payson's "Build the new and instant boats", although I can't remember exactly where I saw them. I think putting the paddles mid boat, and having them much larger then on most of the paddleboats I've seen is a step in the right direction. I've been out on paddleboats a couple of times this year and the experience was, well, let's just say less than satisfying.

Peace and good luck!

Roland