Carbon Fiber Mast kits

Shine

Shine also contributes in the regular forums, so I don't mind the occasional plug when its on topic in there. And here in the Classifieds, its certainly OK as long as it isn't a "flood" of messages.

I wouldn't want someone who wasn't also engaging in some of the regular conversation just popping in to post an ad, but for a member who does join in, I think its OK.

Who knows, Jake, he might buy that kayak!

• 1 month later...

Shine, that's a pretty neat process to making a carbon fiber mast. I have to admit, I thought it was something much more complicated than your customer's site shows. Do you have any scantlings showing the thickness of a carbon fiber mast versus an aluminum one? The B&B Yacht Designs boats use aluminum masts for the unstayed cat-ketch rigs, but I'll bet builders would also like the option of using carbon fiber if they were sure they would be strong enough. (I think Garry Hoyt used carbon fiber on his Freedom series unstayed masts).

Hi Frank,

We do not have any scantlings drawn up. The thickness really depends on the skill of the builder. When making the test spars, we used a lot of resin - then squeezed it excess out. The kit has a biaxial fiberglass sock that sandwiches the uni-directional carbon fiber sock.

One of the best things about the kit is the shipping (comes in a small box via UPS).

We have a 2" diameter spar built with the same lamination as the kit. We have been planning to test it to failure - just have not done it yet.

Joel

Relative to other boat building projects, its very easy. If someone has the experience of building the boat first, they will have the "feel" for the epoxy work.

The epoxy in the kit is just our regular stuff, but in the future we might use a post-cure epoxy to make it stiffer and (more importantly) raise the heat deflection. This would add another potential stumbling block for the amateur (post-curing) - the regular resin is plenty strong. Right now the mast would need to be painted white to avoid getting too hot in the summer sun.

• 3 weeks later...

This is neat stuff! I hope the gentleman that did the write up follows through with "the rest of the story". One thing that does give me pause, I keep pictureing the ship from NZ (I think it was) in the last America's Cup, when that piece snapped. Wow! Coarse that is a whole different ball game than the little boats. And I don't even know if that was build out of the same type stuff.

The America's Cup boats are always right on the edge of breaking apart. Remember the one that had the hull fracture a couple of years ago? They don't have too much of a safety margin, always trying to make everything as light as it possibly can be. So I suspect that's why the mast broke (unless it was just a building defect).